Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, you shouldn't use voltage regulators designed for solar panels with other power sources. IIRC, many of the voltage regulators for solar panels kill the power by shorting the panel connection, which works for solar panels but isn't so good for any other charging source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2006

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
I have used lazy jacks on my Allied Mistress 39 for about 16 years. I feel they are a major convenience when sailing double handed with my wife and an absolute necessity when single handing. (I have covered almost all the East Coast single handed). I have rarely had any hangups and when I did they were minor. The alternative of nothing would be much more difficult and the Dutchman alternative way too expensive and short lived.
Old 12-18-2006

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
Question. With either lazy of easy jacks, how much interference am I going to have with the lines for triple slab (jiffy) reefing? The number of lines and hardware makes me think of rigging a square rigged yard on my model Cuttysark.
Old 12-18-2006

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
Question. What kind of problems could you expect with either lazy or easy jacks and three reef slab/jiffy reefing lines and fittings? Seems like a lot of things to go wrong by interfering with each other.
Old 12-18-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Are you guys with lazy jacks saying that you wouldn't take a Dutchman system over them if price was NOT a consideration?? I've sailed on boats with both and find that amazing. Never have used the "E-Z Jacks" though so thay may be a better solution.
TXS...one of the nice things about the Dutchman is that once youve installed it...there are no lines to futz with under sail or when you are reefing....and yes it does cost more... as does a mainsail track system which I would recommend with lazy jacks or the Dutchman. Hell...if money were no object for you I'd recommend a boom furler with an electric halyard winch and infinite reefing possibilities and nothing to mess with around the sail. They all work...and ya pays yer money and takes yer chances!
Old 12-18-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Cam, I have a StackPack, with a full batten main and StrongTrack. For myself, I like the setup. I don't have a problem with raising or lowering the sail. I tighten it up inside the cover, zip it up, and that's all it takes. Don't have to stow the cover or need sail ties.

I've seen the E-Z Jacks on a Cat 22, and it does seem like an easy to use system, but I would still (unless I could afford in-boom furling) stick with what I have. It works for me. What else can you ask?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-18-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...I like a stack pack even better than Dutchman or Lazy-Jacks. No argument from me...just a bit more expensive. If I didn't have boom furling I'd have a stack pack or similar.
Old 12-18-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Drynoc,

Are you saying that you could make the system for less than $30.00????? I don't think so.

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-18-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Cam - I needed a new main anyway, that's why I sprang for the StackPack. Didn't hurt that there was a Doyle Loft here and that they did a very thorough job all the way from discussing what I needed to putting it on the boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-19-2006

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS-ALAMO
Question. What kind of problems could you expect with either lazy or easy jacks and three reef slab/jiffy reefing lines and fittings? Seems like a lot of things to go wrong by interfering with each other.
E-Z-Jacks make reeking easier I think because I don't always find it necessary to truss up the sail at the reef points, and when I do the E-Z-Jacks temporarily capture the sail.