Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2006

wungout is on a distinguished road
Lazy Jacks and regulators

I have two unrelated questions, but since they are both gear-related, I'm going to save time and space by posting them together.

1) For the short-handed sailor, are lazy Jacks worthwhile?

2) If you're using a combination of wind- and solar-generated power, can/should both sources be routed through the same regulator?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
In my opinion, lazy jacks are good to have when singlehanding. In the manual for my wind generator (Air-X) it shows a charge controller for solar and an optional diverson load controller for the wind and solar. With my wind generator, it has an internal regulator, so it shouldn't be run through a seperate regulator.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Before you buy lazy jacks check these out...maybe it will work for you? Will be installing this winter

http://www.ezjax.com/
Old 12-18-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Lazy jacks are not a good choice for single handers in my opinion as the sails tend to get hung up just when you NEED to be doing something else.
The simplest system I know for insuring trouble free raising/lowering/reefing of the mainsail while short handed is the Dutchman System
This system has been around for several decades and you don't see it as much anymore since so many newer boats have furling. I had it on my last boat and it works well. Even better if you put your mainsail on a slider track to reduce any potential sail track hang-ups.Like this Strong Track
Old 12-18-2006

Alchemist909 is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie is sort-of correct in that traditional lazyjacks can catch the headboard or the battens when you are trying to hoist the main. However, the EZJax system mentioned above is the slickest thing since sliced bread.

I installed a set of these nifty lazyjacks on my C-320 about three years ago as a replacement to the two year old Dutchman system, and I wouldn't consider going back (BTW, If you want it, my two year old, almost unused Dutchman system is available cheap).

The primary advantage of the EZJax system over the standard Lazyjack arrangement is that the lines are held along the boom and the mast until just before you want to douse the sail, and then they are deployed, either from the mast or (optionally) from the cockpit vs being continuously deployed with the more traditional systems.

Another vendor of a similar system to the EZJax is called Jiffyjax (http://www.jiffyjax.com/), but I haven't actually seen this system.

Would I buy them again knowing what you have learned from three years of use? Yes, I would.

Steve
Alchemist
Old 12-18-2006

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Ezjax

The ezjax system works well, but you can make your own identical system for about a tenth of the cost of the official system. That's what I did, and I am pleased with it. It still has the issues with battens, which are unavoidable, but in every other way life is a lot easier.
Old 12-18-2006

Not mention that the Dutchman system is NOT inexpensive and requires modification to your sail. However with EZjax all that is required is the install. You can even use a standard sail cover due to the retractable design of the lazy jack, another savings.

Last edited by T37Chef; 09-23-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2006

If money is no option I would agree with Cam., but me... I'm still hunting for that money tree.

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-18-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
IMO lazy jacks work best with full batten mains and only if the sail is being taken down fully luffing head-to-wind.
Our lazyjacks routinely impede the dropping of the sail (not full battened). The only reason we use them is to avoid scratching the (expensive) Lexan windows in the dodger.

Another negative with regular jacks is the chafe on the sail and the difficulty they cause with sail covers. The EZjacks address this by stowing them when not required. Given the cost one could easily replicate their system with some line, shock cord and a few fittings.

We have addressed this issue by having the lower section all shockcord, and stowing them off the sail/boom to a handrail when not actually dousing the sail.
Old 12-18-2006
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
My Boat came with the Dutchman system. Simple to use, I just drop the sail and straighten a few wrinkles in the flakes and wrap.

Fair Winds,

Bill