Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Standard 24" for me.

While I agree with much of what saildog writes in this case I would go with the coated lifelines and just replace them every 6=8 years or so.

I have seen a small burr on an uncoated lifeline put a few huge tears in a 3-4 thousand dollar jib.

CS Johnson is where i buy mine. In addition the stantions can be place on in two manners if you have an anodized toe rail like our C&C does. Original equipment on C&C was a stantion which was intergrated and attached to the toe rails thus providing greater support than the standard backing plate most stations are installed with. Another advantage to this set up is it gives maximum width to the gunwale. www. niagara.com South Shore Yachts sells these.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Builditjose View Post
What I see as a concern regarding the stanchions is the ones in my 30' call are mounted on the deck inboard of the toe trim. That reduces my walking area by 5" don't appear much, but in a dry run it makes a difference when freed up. I am considering buying or having build through the hull side monting stanchions .....
It's true many boats' stanchions are a fair few inches inboard, restricting the usable width of the side decks. Your solution would deal with that issue, but may look a tad "industrial" and certainly different. It would also increase your effective beam and may interfere with rafting up to other vessels (if you do any of that)

It will also be further complicated by requiring full access to the inside of the hull in those areas which may be awkward due to liners and ceiling finishes.

Another option, since you're into some welding anyway, might be to modify the existing stanchions so the splay outward at 5 degrees or so, giving you a wider passage at the top lifeline height.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-08-2009
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wungout View Post
Just wondering if anyone has 30-inch stanchions on their 32-33 foot boat.
Yes. Quite a few boats this size have 30-inch+ stanchions. For one, the Pacific Seacraft 31 has 31 inch stanchions.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

Old 11-08-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I replaced the stanchions on a 30' boat with 28" including the bow and stern rail. I think it looked fine and worked well. The boat had a fairly deep cockpit and the extra height of the stern rail made is seem very protected as well. Lifelines should be bare wire as you never know what's happening under that plastic covering. If they get a meathook or burr, they are in need of replacement. Current offshore racing regulations call for bare wire, not covered.
Brian
Old 11-09-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Builditjose View Post
What I see as a concern regarding the stanchions is the ones in my 30' call are mounted on the deck inboard of the toe trim. That reduces my walking area by 5" don't appear much, but in a dry run it makes a difference when freed up. I am considering buying or having build through the hull side monting stanchions that would bolt 2" below the rub rails. They would be 3" wide by 5" long 1/4" plate with 1" tube soket wellded along the center of the 5" lenght of the plate. It would have four through bolted mounting bolts with a 1/8" backing plate. All bolts will have appropriate size washer on the inside. the stanchions will be 36" long by 31/32" held in place with through bolt and lock nut. The stachions will have two safet SS wire. After installation the Stanchions should be 25" above the deck. Please comment on my idea as I am seriously interested in increasing the walk area from cockpit to bow on my boat. It allows me to have greater balance. Thank you
Here's how it's done on Pacific Seacraft vessels, with 30" stanchions mounted horizontally to raised bulwarks, nicely freeing-up the sidedecks:

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.