Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-21-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
labatt...we've used 2Kw on 2 different boats and sailed in Maine fog and lots of other places and NEVER once wished we had the larger units. On one trip back from the Bahamas we used it to successfully dodge a series of late afternoon T-boomers that had some gaps. Also used it to pick up buoys on the wider open parts of the ICW and sea buoys for inlet approaces. I suppose you can get better target discrimination with the higher power but the range is still limited by the horizon. When used in combination with a chartplotter it is hard to go too far wrong with even a basic radar IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We were caught in some very heavy fog last Thanksgiving weekend, and our JRC 1000, to our surprise, even picked out a bunch of kids trying to race Lasers and Laser2s at a good distance. This is about the smallest radar you can get, it's served us well for our needs - if something is still more than 5 or 6 miles away it's not our problem (yet!)

So far the only thing that we seem to have trouble "seeing" is a small, fast runabout.
Old 12-21-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
labatt...we've used 2Kw on 2 different boats and sailed in Maine fog and lots of other places and NEVER once wished we had the larger units.
Glad to hear it! I've got the Raymarine C70 and am just in the process of having the radar (and the fluxgate compass/smart heading sensor for better MARPA performance) installed. I got worried for a minute that I would have to call and get the 4KW unit!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 12-21-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I have the RLC70 (with chartplotter)...no worries...it'll work for ya...besides...how much do ya need on Lake Champlain?
Old 12-21-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
I have the RLC70 (with chartplotter)...no worries...it'll work for ya...besides...how much do ya need on Lake Champlain?
Actually, I've only encountered fog on the lake on a very rare occasion. I'm getting it since we'll be doing our trip from Annapolis to Lake Champlain at the end of April, which is notoriously horrible for fog on the Delaware, around Cape May, in New York Harbor and up the Hudson due to cold water temperature and rising air temperatures. Then, the following year, we'll be taking her to Cape Cod and (possibly) Maine for the season. (Plus I like gadgets, and radar integrated with a chartplotter definitely qualifies ). Of course, I could use a side scan sonar to help me find Champ (our version of the Loch Ness Monster).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 12-21-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2006

mjname is on a distinguished road
I like the new Si-Tex ColorMax Series comes in diferent screen sizes and can handle chart depth guage and chart plotting. I have a GPS antenna so will just buy the 10 inch unit and maybe a radar ad on antenna eventually, hoefullly it will integrate with my depth guage and I can look at everything on one screen mounted on the wheel or near to it.

I like Si-Tex branad because I have a Si-Tex gps unit (came with the boat) that won't die and it's older than dirt and still works. It was pre-chart plotter unit, I'm guessing.

Let us know what you went with and how it worked for you.
Old 12-22-2006

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
My RL70C, repater at steering, master at nav station, served me well 20.000 miles from Norway to Malaysia.
The installation however should be well planned depending of sailing area and use. I put mine on a seperate mast at the stern. Drop by my page and have a look.
Old 12-22-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Fog still happens and it gets dark every night. These create two problems, piloting (Where are we?) and collision avoidance (What's out there?)

There are solutions to the first of these short of GPS that are workable (Log, lead, lookout and variations.) The problem of reduced visibility is less tractable, and makes a radar more attractive to me in terms of cost benefit. I'd rather have a small radar first and perhaps a primitive handheld GPS if needed for position finding second.

Last edited by Goodnewsboy; 12-22-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2006

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Be careful with the Garmin radars - some of the antennas are HUGE compared with other manufacturers.

Also, the 4kw units are far more preferable for the incremental cost difference and make a big difference in discrimination. Any 2 kw unit can pick up proximite tugs towing barges - with the 4kw units, you'll see the tow cable

Last edited by k1vsk; 12-22-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2006
moderate?

K1vsk....that's why i recommended waiting for the new GMR18 dome...only 18 inches and it IS 4kw with all electronics inside the dome for LESS than grand so you just plug it into the chartplotter I recommend and you are in business...good and small and cheap. My comments on 2Kw being completely acceptible were separate from the product recommendation response.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.