Troubleshooting electronics - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2016 Thread Starter

Troubleshooting electronics

The boat I race on is having some problems with some electronics on board. At the end of the summer the speedometer stopped working and soon after GPS stopped receiving satellites. I am meeting the owner tomorrow to try and troubleshoot these issues.

This from the boat's owner.

The transducer for the knotmeter is Raymarine (old version Autohelm) ST50. The speed control head is the new version i50. The combination worked for a couple of years and suddenly stopped.

The GPS is a Garmin 225 color chartplotter. It seems to have lost the ability to bring in satellites.

The only thing we have done so far is pull out the transducer wheel and spun it to look for a blip on the knotmeter. I have tools for basic wiring but not electronics. I would appreciate suggestion on troubleshooting these issues.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2016

Re: Troubleshooting electronics

Got a digital multimeter? You are going to need one. First a visual inspection of the wiring looking for corrosion on junctions, such as terminal boards, breaker connections, cable connections, ect. Next, well maybe first, measure the battery voltage while the devices are on. Measure at the battery and at the device if you can. When I wired my boat I ran all the negative wires back to copper buss bars. Check that also. Sometimes corrosion and vibrations will break the wires inside the terminal lugs. If the Garmin fires up (display shows normal) and it has an external antenna, check the antenna connections. Has the Garmin moved from where it was working? It could be something is blocking the satellite signal, there isn't much RF signal margin in the GPS signal. Digital multimeters are not that expensive any longer. You don't need a $3,000 dollar bench top Fluke, a $30.00 one will do just fine.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks Jer,
I had mentioned but edited it out. I will be bringing my digital multimeter and a long jumper to run some tests.

I will check continuity in the wires. I suspect the GPS antenna and have looked at it briefly. Nothing has been changed or moved, it just stopped working.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2016
Dirt Free

SkipperJer gives good advice, low voltage will cause problems in almost all electronics.

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
post #5 of 9 Old 11-13-2016

Presumably you've gone through the troubleshooting procedures in the Garmin manual, but if there is a "factory reset" procedure, you might try that if all else fails. That worked for a relatively new Raymarine chartplotter that locked up on me once. Be aware that you may lose waypoints and have to reset your clock (which may default to GMT).
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2016 Thread Starter

I was unable to get on the boat early enough to troubleshoot on Saturday. The owner's car has been in the shop for over a month and we was not able to meet early on the boat to troubleshoot. I did have time to run a systems test with the boat at the dock and voltage tested to ensure it was not a voltage issue causing the problems.

In my research I have come up with the following conclusions: The GPS is so old you can buy them used off of ebay for parts only. It is so old Garmin has already re-used the model #. The Garmin 225 is currently a watch. I did find the manual online and now have a schematic of the wiring. Pins #3 & 4 output the NMEA info. Does the antenna need 12V to work, so the GPS need to be powered up and connected to the antenna to test?

I talked to the owner about the transducer configuration and got some more details. He kept the old transducer when he bought a new display panel for a knotmeter. The transducer cable goes to a central computer and then to the knotmeter display in the cockpit. The new knotmeter came with a new transducer but he felt it was too much work to run the cable back to where it needs to be wired. So next week, if he can get to the boat early enough i will wire the new transducer to either the computer or the knotmeter, spin the wheel and see if we get some boat speed. The owner wanted to avoid having to re-run wires but I think if the new transducer works re-running the wires will be the easiest solution.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll keep you updated.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2016
Master Mariner

If the speed log AND the GPS stopped working at different times, my guess is whatever Raymarine uses to connect all the systems together is where you'll find the fault. I can't see the speed log and GPS antenna being involved with one another anywhere else.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2016

ray marine has a good forum on their site - it give detailed instructions on checking out the speed log
Les
post #9 of 9 Old 11-14-2016

On the GPS, I would check the connections to and from the antenna first, check for fraying, loose connections, corrosion, excessive bending to where the cable no longer lays straight but now has a pronounced bend. These checks can be done without power to the system, make sure to check both ends. Often times it the interconnects between system components that go bad, or become loose or damaged.

Use your head for something other than a hat rest.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.