Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-22-2006

Duke 7184 is on a distinguished road
Question Best Epoxy

In my limited experience I have had good results using West Systems Epoxy for minor repairs and small projects. Now I have some projects on the drawing board that include fiberglass repair, wood lamination and a half sphere 2' in diameter type plug/mold to be made of about 1/8" solid glass. I would appreciate information on the good or bad experiences you have had using whatever -West Systems, MSA, Interlux and etc.- for your projects.

Thanks,
Duke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I am a very big fan of MAS products in terms of product support, reduced allergic irratants, and the non-production of amine blush, and so prefer to use their products. I have used WEST System and System Three products for decades now, and like their products as well. For no particular reason at all, I have never personnally used Interlux's epoxy products.

I have always appreciated WEST System's innovative thinking, ongoing research and their willingness to share the data that comes out of this research. As result, for many years I typically used their products, despite their slightly higher cost, as a way of supporting thier dedication to advancing technology.

My sense is that used properly either MAS or WEST products will produce equally high quality results, but in recent years have switched to MAS because IMHO MAS is just an easier product to work with and live with.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Here's another vote for MAS epoxy. That's what I used to barrier coat my boat two years ago with very good results. They also have come out with formulations that have no amine blush at all, a great help in these sorts of projects. They also are most helpful when you call them on the phone for advice.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-22-2006

C27Shockwave is on a distinguished road
I've used System3 with no complaints. It's well supported. I'm using it on my current project and I'll use it in the future. As a matter of fact, I don't think I'll ever be without the stuff. Check out their other products too.

Tom