SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Plexiglass window thickness?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of replacing the leaky old tempered glass windows in our Albin Vega with dark smoked Plexiglas. The plan is to use the two-side tape and Dow795 method, no fasteners. The windows have no curvature, and the openings are about 7" tall by 48" long.

Does anyone have any industry inside information, strength data, or hard-earned personal experience to help me determine the appropriate thickness to use?

#2 ·
I suspect the trim is leaking not the glass. Tempered glass can be restored with auto glass restoration products.

Choices for trim restoration depend on how bad the gasket material is but there is also a wide range of rubber/vinyl restoration products available at most auto parts stores.

Try repair/restore before replace.

#5 ·
As you are not using the original frames you are not restricted to thickness. As there is no curvature also that doesn't restrict thickness. I would suggest 1/4" to 5/16" possibly, maybe 3/8".

I agree with the method and will be doing the same myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.