SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Removing a roller furler

7K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  mf70 
#1 ·
I have a new boat and would like to add a furler. I have an opportunity to purchase a used furler that will fit this boat. The only catch is I have to help remove it. I would assume that means someone has to go up the mast. Is it safe to remove the forestay while someone is hanging from a halyard? I know you don't want to sail without a forestay, unless you are downwind,:laugh but how would it be to leave the boat on a mooring without a forestay?

I am not sure the details of why he is selling the furler, something about not having enough time to sail. I do not want to risk whoever has to go up the mast or the boat being left on a mooring without a forestay. It is possible he has a plan to put something there in place, i am just not sure. The boat is a Cat 27 if that makes a difference.

#3 ·
You'll need to exactly identify and reply with the make and model of the furler. If you can't provide the exact make and model, the next best thing is some close-up digital pictures of the drum, the bottom swivel and the top swivel, etc.

Some are furlers are 'integral' with the forestay - parts of the furler 'are' the forestay; some are independent (as a 'slip-on' arrangement) of the forestay.
Once you report back with that ID information, many of us here probably can be of help.

#4 ·
Harken Mark III. I am not sure but believe the stay is integral to the furler.

I don't know if there is a spin halyard. I was going with the assumption there was not but if there is a spin or second jib halyard, that will allow the mast to stay secured.

#6 ·
One more question on this while I got the attention of someone who knows sails. I was going to ask this earlier but assumed it was a no.

I could buy the furler and sail from this boat as a package. The C27 has a I of 34' and J of 11.25'. The target boat is an S2 7.9 with an I of 30.5' and J of 9.5'. Any chance of making this jib work with the new boat? I was thinking of buying a sailrite sewing machine to do this myself. My alternative would be buy the machine and a kit to build a 135% jib just for the boat.

#9 · (Edited)
What is the % (LP %) of the sail you're looking at? Ill check with my sailmakers data book, and give you an approximate answer. If you have the linear dimensions (each) for the length of luff, foot, and leech, this would be best - as those 3 lengths in combination will define exactly how high the clew is and will be for 'your' boat.

#8 ·
Thanks that helps. I have a text to the owner to see if there are spare halyards forward of the mast. Looking at some videos of a furling unit will help me get an understanding before tackling this job.

Never mind on the sail question. I realize the quote from sailrite for a sew your own kit is only around $600. It is not worth saving $1-200 to make something try to fit that may not have the correct shape.

#13 ·
old sails cut down will never be right. the max draft on older sails has moved back and then even further when cut down. when working on the furler I use the jib halyard to take the tension off the forestay and second halyard fastened to a different point as a safety. make sure you inspect the halyards before using them especially on a boat that is not yours. if it has adjustable back stay make sure it is not tight.

#14 ·
old sails cut down will never be right. the max draft on older sails has moved back and then even further when cut down. when working on the furler
Pretty much what I thought also. I doubt I would take the used sail but at least look at it and take some measurements.

I use the jib halyard to take the tension off the forestay and second halyard fastened to a different point as a safety. make sure you inspect the halyards before using them especially on a boat that is not yours. if it has adjustable back stay make sure it is not tight.
Still waiting to hear back from the owner to see if we meet today or tomorrow or if he has more than 2 halyards on the mast. I would want one for the forestay replacement and two more for me, before I climb a mast. As usually the biggest guy on the boat, I have never been chosen to go up the mast but usually sweating someone up the mast. We'll see how it goes.

That reminds me to grab my Gopro to commemorate "fat man going up the mast".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.