Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-27-2006

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
natural teak

I don't mind the look of natural weathered teak however I'm worried that it will shorten the life of the teak. Has there been any research on this topic? Is there anything I can do to preserve the teak while still leaving it natural?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
iiiff you preserved it, it wouldn't be natural.
Old 12-29-2006
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Daly's Seafin Teak Oil

I used Daly's Sea Fin Teak Oil on the interior woodwork on my boat and the teak looks better than new. I sanded with 400 grit paper, then I wiped all the wood down with a mineral spirit dampened rag to remove the sanding dust. I applied the Dalys with a rag and used a brush to get into the cracks and crevises and let it dry 8 hrs. 4 coats total and it dried to a satin finish. I used just shy of a quart to treat all my woodwork on my Hunter 35.5 Legend. I have not used it on the exterior wood yet. I need to remove the previous owners flaking orange mess and clean the stained fiberglass from his half A$$ attempt. I hope this is some help. http://www.dalyspaint.com/catalog_seafin.html

Fair winds,

Bill
Old 12-29-2006

Good point Pigslo.

I should have asked if therewas a way of protecting it while leaving the natural look and would this protection outlast all of the products out there that give it the pleasing color? Is there omething like Thompson's water seal but for teak that doesn't add color but helps preserve the wood?

Or will the the teak just build up its own protective layer and if I don't mind the way it looks will it last as long as oiled or varnished wood?

DM
Old 12-29-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
" a way of protecting it while leaving the natural look "
The Japanese are doing some wonderful things with screen printing on plastic laminates so they look like real wood.

Teak is not forever. Teak is like a sunset, or the first snow of winter. Use it, enjoy it, share it, and when it is gone, it is gone. Avoid harsh cleaners and abrasives, use teak oil or maybe a UV protectant (both will darken it), but teak will last longer than most folks will own a boat. Teak, sails, lines, zincs, they all have to be replaced one day--unless you put 'em away under glass and don't take them out to play.

If you're going to apply a solid coating (Cetol, Armada, varnish, whatever) it seems to me you might as well just rip out the teak and install REAL plastic, so it looks & feels the same but needs less maintenance.
Old 12-29-2006

bil mc

The brand you mentioned in your post has a product called sea fin shin n shore sealer. It sounds interesting.

I emailed them for more information

"Seafin shin n shore:

Can I use seafin ship and shore on my boat's teak alone (without any other treatment)?

Will it add protection to the teak?

Will the teak remain the natural weathered look?

Will it wear off like oils and varnishes do? Oils last less than 6 months and varnishes less than 12 in Marine environments.

Will it ever flake?

Can it be removed?

What are the ingredients?

Is it a proprietary formulation or just rebranded?

Lots of questions but I will appreciate you answers

Thanks in advance"

Do you have any experience with it?
Old 12-29-2006

hello sailer

I too like the natural look of teak and don't want to oil it, varnish it or cetol it. All those products either wear off quickly (teak oil) or peal off eventually.

While I agree that teak is not forever, I'm trying to find something that will help prolong the eventual replacement of the teak.

Some people have posted and said they believe that it forms its own natural patina and it protects the wood as well as any oil. If this is true then nothing is required. What do you think?
Old 12-29-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Teak is loaded with natural oils, so the less you do to it the better absent the use of varnish, etc. The main thing is not to scrub it very hard, if at all. One of the big glossies just had a short article about a fellow who sprays a diluted bleach mixture on his teak every so often to kill the mold and mildew -- and that is all he does. He doesn't even wash it off. No scrubbing obviously.

As others have said, the teak probably will outlast you. The worst thing you can do it probably is to scrub it so hard that you wear away the softer portions, which then leads to a rough surface, more space for mold and mildew, etc.

My last $.02 -- never use teak oil. I think mold and mildew actually thrive on it. I use Epifanes Woodfinish on my teak -- it's a varnish with some other stuff in it. Seems to hold up better than regular varnish. I like the look and don't mind the time it takes (a couple of coats once a year.)

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-29-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Teak decks - are to be left natural, no coatings or chemicals, no exceptions.

Teak trim, such as toe and cap rails, doors/ hatches, grab rails, etc., in my opinion, only look proper if coated with a hard protective sealer. The choice between varnish, Cetol, Bristol or other finishes, can be, and has been, debated in hundreds of threads on SailNet. Check the archives.

The final choice of finishes is dependant upon the amount of money available to hire pros, or the time and effort you are willing to sacrifice sailing days for.
Old 12-29-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
SALT WATER.

Thats all I use!