Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2006

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
should the awlcare be just rubbed on or should it be power buffed? i already have bought some.

Yeah i thought about the awlcraft 2000 and it was considered, but I talked to a few painters and talked me into the regular awlgrip, i don't clam to know everything about the paint process and know i have alot to learn, but its been alot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Awlcare...rub on only...never use a buffer on it!
Old 01-01-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Camaraderie mentions an excellent point regarding paint. Whether for auto or boat paint varies from can to can, even in the same batch. Ask any body man who has found himself just a little short on paint when doing a car. He pops open another quart, from the same batch of paint, sprays and it doesn't match. He then spends half a day blending it in. That job takes a lot of skill and experience.
Don't tell me about "factory" paint, batch run numbers, etc... It happens and the reason doesn't matter. And with the price paid for the coatings were talking about the fix can easily put one over budget.
The solution is to buy more paint than needed, as Cam suggested, and mix it all together prior to application. After all of the paint has been mixed you will have one color. Now it can be returned to it's original containers. The excess is best stored in the smallest container you can find. If you've got a quart left in a gallon can, transfer it to a new quart can. Store it where temperature extremes are minimized and it doesn't hurt to shake it up good once a year.
For those with no experience with this I would emphasize that the color variations will not be obvious to the eye; in the cans, during application, or even indoors in the painting booth (esp. not under flourescent light), but only after drying and in sunlight. It will be particularly noticeable at twilight when the sun's rays are more horizontal.
Cruising your local mall can illustrate the point. Look at the front fender/door jamb line on the parked cars. It won't take you long to find one that's "just off", imagine if it were your boat!
Old 01-01-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
That will be one very nice looking Columbia 34! And you have done everyone a favor by eliminating its previous graphic glory. I'm sure, based on seeing some of his other boats (esp. Ondine) that Bill Tripp would approve both the color and the workmanship.
Old 01-01-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nice Job, Scott -

I'm wondering what your striping plans are - though I'm sure you'll show us all soon! The high freeboard of the Col34 could sure use some visual lowering.

Nice to have a good facility for your project too!
Old 01-01-2007

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Thanks everyone the last look of the boat I am sure the previous owner like it but it was not for us we are looking for more of a classic look for the boat.

our plan for the stripes is starting at the bottom 4" white stripe with 2" gap between bottom paint and the first stripe, the 2" space and the another 2" white stripe. Also we will be doing a 1.5" stripe at the top that goes through the center of the port holes, and at the stern there will be a break for a Columbia logo. I will post pictures when we get them on after this weekend.
Old 01-16-2007

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
columbia

Does the plastic sheeting you used to cover the bottom paint come with adhesive pre attached? What is it called and where did you buy it?

If it doesn't come preattached how did you attach it?

Dm
Old 01-16-2007

No the plastic we used was just vapor barrier from lowes 2mil 10'x100' $20. we just attached ours with masking tape. I know what you are talking about though and you can get the plastic with the tape already on it at any local autobody store, but I think you will find the its going to be to short for a boat project.

Scott
Old 01-16-2007

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
did you post the finished pictures yet?
Old 01-16-2007

yes they are here Aristo Blue Awlgrip Now with Snow White Stripes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.