Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-30-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
www.ibiblio.org/london/alternative-energy/windpower/literature/windpower-system.plans.bibliography
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2006

I found a site that had detailed plans for a small one that would work on a boat, I will keep looking. Above posts should get you started.
pigslo
Old 12-30-2006

http://www.instructables.com/id/E0T6...6NG5/?ALLSTEPS

one more that may be closer to what you need.
pigslo
Old 12-31-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Thanks for all the little piglets, I'll get on the case tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Cam, if the 1000 is capable of 30 amps in as per your calculation it would certainly run a 20 amp charger that many people use. If however you have a 40 amp charger you would have to go to a larger generator. The generator size really depends on the output of your charger. The DC out put on the Honda 2,000 is also quite low as well, but it's not a particularily good way to charge your batteries anyway. It's a much better idea to use your smart charger which regulates the charging current to optimise battery charging.
Something else to consider is other AC loads you may wish to use from time to time like a Capacino maker and air conditioning, 2 items mentioned in previous threads, that would require a larger unit. Size matters
Old 12-31-2006
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Ahoy ebs001

The EU 2000 will provide 17 amps surge and 13 amps run at 120vac. A 40 amp smartcharger like the Truecharge will draw about 11 amps max. and taper off, down to about 1 amp. A 6000 btu Marine Air A/C draws about 6 amps run and 15 amps start. That is about the max for the EU2000 on start up. You have to run the EU2000 at full throttle to start the A/C unit with nothing else running.
I doubt if our friend has A/C on his boat, so the EU should be able to do what is asked. He could even run the microwave, a hotplate, coffee maker, etc. Just not all at the same time.

Fair Winds Oh!!! it is 77 degrees partly cloudy, wind about 9kts to go into the low 80's today

Cap'n Dave .......reporting to you live from Georgetown Bahamas
Old 12-31-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ebs...I've always known that size matters! but you're right if a 20AMP charger is all you need for your bank. When you get up into the 500A/H+ range on a cruising battery bank....it takes a lot of time to put your daily use back into those banks with just a 20 amp charger. My Heart smart charger inverter puts out 130AMPS before it starts tapering the charge and it is a pretty common piece of equipment on cruising boats but it does suck up the kilowatts in return for a fast charge.
Old 12-31-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Cap'n D I think from what I,ve read that for surge current of short duration the EU2000 will go above the 2000VA rating and would run larger A/C units than a 6,000 BTU. In an earlier thread people were running 10,000 or 12,000 BTU units.
Cam, my point was one needs to match one's gen choice to one's loads, so before one buys think of loads now and in the future.
Old 12-31-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Before we get too far off the track, one of the major reasons that I was attracted to the little Yamaha 1000, or the Honda of the same size, is that it is physically small and light weight. 28 lbs !
Now, for that size and weight, you can do a lot of things, if not run your a/c. On a larger boat, it would afford you a completely independant charging system-to charge say your starting battery if needed. Given the size and weight I could see it being worth having to charge some specific items and then just toss it back in the bottom of a locker.
I know that I could go up to a larger unit, but that misses the point of having a small and unobtrusive unit in the first place. Let's face it, anything that weighs much over 50 lbs is going to stay right where it's put be it the garage, the bilge, or the back of the pick-up truck. At 28 lbs this is something that can easily be brought up on deck, walked down to the dock, carried ashore for a party, etc.... Frankly, I was surprised that they've gotten them down as small as they have with the output they have.

As usual, we have the camping, hunting, and fishing markets to thank for the impetus to design the product.
Old 01-01-2007

http://www.lookout2000.com/windpower/index.htm ...Here is the one I was looking for from a car alternator.