Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-01-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I have a Honda EU1000i and really like it. I tie a short piece of line to it and wrap it around a cleat at the very back of the boat with the muffler facing the water. At anchor the wind is always on the front of the boat and that insures that the exhaust gas gets blown off the back of the boat. As a safety precaution I do close the cockpit off when I am running the generator, just in case, and I insure that all of the cockpit lockers are closed. I also have a carbon monoxide alarm on the boat. But I never really felt that was necessary, the way I have the generator mounted when I am using it I have trouble imagining how exhaust gas could get into even the cockpit in any great quantity. It usually doesn't hurt to be on the safe side, however. I find the EU1000i to be very quiet and I don't mind running it when other people are anchored near me, though I do choose not to run it near sunset when everyone typically sits in there cockpit and watches the world go by. It's a small generator and I would feel comfortable taking it on the dinghy to shore and using it to run power tools and things. I would not want to carry it for great distances, however, because it does get heavy pretty fast. It uses minimal amounts of gasoline. I don't know the Yamaha you refer to, but I feel comfortable giving the Honda two thumbs up.

Last edited by wind_magic; 01-01-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
That lawn mower generator idea makes me want to build one up just for the heck of it.
Old 07-13-2012

sstuller is on a distinguished road
Re: Portable micro electric generators

It beats me why you need any more than the alternator on your outboard to charge your batteries with a 21' sailboat.
The mate and I cruised for three months solid with a 23' sailboat in the North Channel with just a Honda outboard as the battery charger and never felt we needed anything more. Not to date ourselves but this was before the age of GPS. Bring a portable charger for use at the dock and you should be covered. Thanks. Steve S.
Old 07-13-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

You do know this is a 5 year old thread, or is this just an attempt to enter a shameless plug?
Old 07-30-2012
Armchair Sailor(Sea Of C)

Armchair Sailor is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of the towed generator.