Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2006

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
Rolling and tipping? Sorry for my ignorance but this is my first plastic boat. Not to hijack but I was told to paint rather than awlgrip?
what do you mean paint rather than awlgrip? Awlgrip is paint.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2006

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
It was my understanding that awlgrip is some what more complicated to use? I was looking at options at westmarine. Sorry, the names elude me at the moment.
Old 12-31-2006

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Everything out there could be considered hard to use. I had painted 2 jets skis and a golf cart before this and did our 34' boat. Awlgrip can be either sprayed or rolled and tipped, it is a very workable product, and the best product for the job.
Old 12-31-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
For painting you basically have 2 options a two part epoxy like Awlgrip or a single part like Interlux Brightside or Petite Esypox sp?. The 2 part is more durable and as far as I know always sprayed on.
You can get a pretty decent finsh by rolling and tipping. That is a roller immediately followed by soneone good with a brush to smooth out the orange peel that a roller leaves. Go with a ligth colour maybe an off white and it can look pretty good for a few years. Still needs lots of prep work.

Gary
Old 12-31-2006

OK, thanks! Is it to much to ask about the details of the prep work here?
Old 12-31-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Wildcard... Awlgrip and Imron are the 2 leading 2 part paints for boats. They both provide a very high qaulity, high gloss finish that will last for years without clouding or fading if taken care of. NOTHING else you can buy will do that. It is QUITE complicated and takes a lot of time and effort to do it and spraying does work better than rolling and tipping but rolling and tipping DOES work. (Rolling and tipping is using a paint roller to spread the paint on the hull surface then using a fine bristle brush to "tip" out the paint and achieve a smooth finish.) Single part paints will look good for a year or two but won't last. It all depends on what you want to spend and what you expect from the final job.

Oh yeah...for more details see the current thread with the Columbia34 being painted.
Old 12-31-2006

Thanks again for all the info! We are discussing our options.
Old 12-31-2006

Wildcard... prep work is not bad works, its not hard labor like digging a ditch, but i promise you that you will find out just how big your boat is when you have to sand the whole thing several times sanding. Here is a good site of a guy named Tim who is very good a restoring old boats and here is his project. he has made a great website with lots of detail about how to a DIY can do a project like this. He did this boat in awlgirp with the roll and tip method.

http://www.triton381.com/projects/re.../hullhome.html

Check it out....
Old 12-31-2006

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
columbia 34

You boat is about the size of mine.

How many hours do you estimate it took you to do the prep work?

And, how much of the old gel coat did you sand off?

I'm trying to figure out how much my time is worth compared with how much the yards charge. I don't think my time is worth 90 dollars an hour. For what they charge I could have my house painted all around twice with two coats! and prepped! and still have some money left over!

Last edited by dm567; 12-31-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2006

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
For the rest of the forum posts I thank you because I am getting a feel of what is involved. And thanks for the link to triton. I am aware that if they don't do the prep work they won't warranty it. I think that a big part of that money they charge is the guarantee. I don't need a perfect job and I don't need a guarantee. I hate guarantees. You usually have to fight too much and if nothing happens your out the money. I'd rather just pay half the price to start with and then take the chance and pay again. In the long run I've save a lot of money with that attitude. A year ago I bought a BMW for 10K less than than the dealer wanted for a used one and I've had not problems. I figure the 10K savings is my insurance. The only thin I missed out on was the free cappucino at the dealer!