Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2006

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Taking into consideration that my hull was in really good shape and only had to minnor filling, to fix scratchs in the hull. I would say that I have about 50 hrs into my prep work and that includes wax/grease remover, sanding with 150 and 220 grit, taping the bottom paint off and the rub rail, removing port holes, bilge and vent fittings.

I sprayed 2 coats of primer on light gray 2nd full gray since i was doing a dark color, then that was sanded with 320, then re-cleaned, then sprayed 3 coats of the Awlgip Aristo Blue. Dark colors will show more flaws but if you prep your boat with the thinking your doing a dark color and your just painting white it will look great.

The topsides are only a small part of our project, I have put tons of hours into new deck paint and non-skid paint, as well as some new wood work projects.

I guess it depends on the person but overall I would not consider having the yard do this job, I have really enjoyed this project and it will be even better when we take to the water for the first time with it. I would say if you have the time and the energy to do the work then go for it. I know you have some concern with the yard and what they allow, consider talking to the yard and see if they will allow you to put up a tempoary shed with plastic sides, or see if you can rent inside storage where you can hang tarps from the ceiling to seperate from other boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2006

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
I unsubcribed by accident so I'm subscribing again
Old 12-31-2006

columbia

If you spent 60 hours on the job, you saved over $6,000! At least by what they charge in the SF bay area.

I think it was well worth it. I have the time so I'd like to try it. If you don't try things you will never learn.

Are you going to do the topside now or later? Can you do it while the boat is in the water?

dm
Old 12-31-2006

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Dm we are painting the stripes this weekend and then the deck the following weekend. I am located in michigan so i have 3 months to get my project done before we move the boat back to the water. So come april we will hope fully have all our projects done and may even if we have time Awlgrip the mast and boom if we have time if not i will do it next winter.

I agree there is nothing like doing a project on your own, it feels great and as scary as it looks don't worry it is very DIY project.
Old 12-31-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
If the yard is adamant about wet sanding I'm not sure he's going to find a wet/dry paper heavy enough for the tough stuff. I guess we'd need more info on condition of the hull. Yes you can get air-powered sanding tools. Stop by your local body shop and politely ask the guy what he uses for different types of jobs.
Old 01-01-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
I second that! All y'all have been a big help.
Old 01-01-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
DM567, I hope you don't mind me asking my questions in your thread, it sounds like we are at about the same point boat wise. I have an older 35 footer that needs a little cosmetic LC too.
That link provided so many answers, many thanks. Now Im thinking Im going to stand down with the hull paint and just do teh bottom paint and repairs for this haul out. That will give me some time to figure out exactly what I want to do. Thaks again all.
Old 01-01-2007

No problem guys, i know i found the trition website very useful, even though i did not do roll and tip but it shows that it can be done. Tim sprays most of his boats now, just cause you can spray more coats faster than you can roll and tip, but results are just as good with roll and tip.
Old 01-01-2007

Glad you joined in Wildcard. These Forums are part of what is good on the internet.

While this all started with the wet sanding requirement of my Yard, I'd love to know of someone or some yard that would actually attempt to spray another coat of gel coat on my boat. And yes, I know it would be very expensive; more expensive than the two part paints. And no, I wouldn't try it myself. And I know its probably not recommended, but if my gelcoat already lasted 20 years and isn't really that bad (just a little faded and not a great color) I'd pay a premium for a new gel coat finish.

Does anyone know of anybody?

Dominic
Old 01-01-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
Have you tried a simple gelcoat 'restoration'?

dm567 -
Sometimes a deep caustic soak, followed by a wet-sanding with 1500--->2000 grit wet and dry, deep bleaching (oxalic acid), then power-buffing with a high speed autobodyshop polisher and foam pads (3M 'Finese-it --->3M Perfect-it' will usually restore gelcoat to almost 'new' condition. If the gel isnt 'aligatored' (from maintenance neglect) such a 'restoration' will bring back the gel. The above process is essentially the same when a new boat is pulled from its mold and 90% of the time will make the boat look like new. Usually gelcoat is quite thick and can take such 'aggressive' restoration. Certainly beats 'painting' which leads to considerable 'future' problems.