Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-01-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Sealer for non-marine plywood

I'm making some oak panels for the interior around the nav desk (for a contrast and to lighten up the area a bit) and wonder if anyone has any recommendations on a good sealer to use after staining. I've got Minwax's Helmsman Spar Urethane in clear satin, but wondered if that's sufficent or if I need something better to use.

Thanks,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PBzeer; 01-01-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2007

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
What you have sounds like a good product, you may want to consider a minimum of three coats and consider doing both sides of the plywood. That is to deter moisture on the back side. Hope that helps.

Joe
Old 01-01-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, was already going to do minimum of 3 coats, all surfaces, as moisture is my main concern. Also have all cutouts made and holes drilled so as to seal them as well.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-02-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
John,
I have not had good luck with that particular product, specifically regards water. I have a counter top in my entryway that water sat on and penetrated the Helmsman. Didn't raise it-just discolored it. Of course I blamed it on my wife as she applied the three coats! I think the name implies something the product does not deliver.

I would recommend Varethane. It's pricey and not as easy to find, but really holds up.

One other technique I've heard of, but not tried yet, is to coat the wood with west system epoxy and then apply whatever synthetic varnish you wish. The epoxy does the wood protection part and the varnish takes care of the "look". I'd probably experiment with stain, epoxy, varnish on scrap first to see what the end product will look like. Of course the epoxy alone would be fine for unexposed to sight portions. Given that you are using plywood I would soak in a couple of coats to the end grain as that is the most susceptible to moisture penetration. When you drill your pilot holes for your screws you can "butter" each of the screws with epoxy and thereby seal those holes as well.

Good idea on the lighter colored oak.
Old 01-02-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We spoke to a kayak maker this past summer - produced the most beautifully finished cedar strip kayaks I've seen anywhere.

His finishing method - similar to what sailaway describes - was to use an epoxy coating as a sealant, and then covered it with a UV resistant varnish. The UV protection prevented the epoxy itself from turning milky as it is wont to do if left unprotected.

If this method works for something expected to spend time in full exposure - it should do really well for interior woodwork where the exposure is reduced.
Old 01-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...since you didn't use marine plywood, you really need to have good protection from moisture ingress which can lead to un-gluing. Suggest epoxy on all surfaces first, followed by any finish you like.
Old 01-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Since I'm only doing one panel right now and it's vertical....and it holds the stereo , I went ahead with the Helmsman. Especially since I didn't see any of these responses first.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-03-2007
seeker

feetup is on a distinguished road
further to Sailaway 21 and Faster regarding the epoxy, you can get even better protection, especially on end grain by brushing West System or Industrial Formulators epoxy and heating gently with a hot air gun to thin the epoxy and to help capilary action to draw it into the wood fibers. This is a technique used to restore rotted wood in areas where it is impossible to replace. Keep the wood warm and keep applying epoxy till it will take no more. The warmth will shorten the cure time as well. Then proceed with the varnish to beautify.
The problem with trying to seal with only varnish is that the wood will "move" with moisture fluctuations growing and shrinking several percent with extremes, and even polyurethanes cannot cope with this much movement after some time has elapsed. the finish will crack microscopically allowing water to enter the wood, not just a shift in moisture content. Epoxy has a very high tensile strength, actually preventing these microscopic cracks. The only problem is that epoxy will turn milky brown from exposure to ultra violet light so must be coated with a U V stable varnish.

Feetup
"Epoxy can be cured!"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.