SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Engine Replacement

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Wes 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone...

I am looking for input, advice, information from anyone with experience in replacing the engine in their sailboat. I do not have a deep understanding of this and am looking to learn as I go.

I currently have a 31' Niagara sailboat which I love and want to keep long term. It has a Volvo Md7a engine and a Volvo 110s Saildrive. Long story short, the Md7a is done....over....shall run no more.

The mechanics that I had been talking to this summer said that I could replace the engine AND quite possibly keep the Saildrive, even if I were to switch engine brands. They asked me do do some research into what I wanted and see what I thought would work for me.

I don't seem to be able to find anything on the internet about integrating a new engine and the existing saildrive. I can't find any information about what to look for, how to tell if I can mix brands (ie. Yanmar and Volvo) and what characteristics of which components will work with others.

Can someone point me in the direction of some resources that I could use to get a better understanding of what I need to know?

:hammer

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Personally, I wouldn't buy a boat with a WORKING Volvo...

If looking to repower, my first choice would be a Beta Marine, Beta 25, which is available with a saildrive;

The Beta 20 would be my second.

You can learn more here: http://www.betamarinenc.com/engines/

#6 ·
WOW! 31' boat, 8K lbs! (I thought it would be much more) and a 13 HP engine...

I would now opt for the Beta 20 as my first choice... Beta 16 as my second.

#8 ·
Have you contacted the engine manufatuer or distributer? When I have a technical question of this type, I try and go to the information source. For example, I read the PDF that Knute posted. Very good information. I'd next call Beta Marine and ask a technician for their input into my specific situation. Good luck.

By the way, for a personal opinion, after spending so much money on a new engine, I'd want the security of a warrantee on that tranny/saildrive. I'd go new.

#11 ·
Here is a thumbnail description of the Niagra 31' sailboat.
NIAGARA 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

It is a German Frers designed boat built by Hinterholler Yachts; both the designer and builder having some pedigree or cachet.

In the Notes section it states: Until hull number 50, Niagara 31s were powered by a 13-hp Volvo diesel saildrive unit. Later models were powered by a Westerbeke 22-hp v-drive.

We all all know that boat designing is about making compromises. My personal preference for drive configuration is direct drive. I have limited experience with the V drive setup but I do think it inferior to the direct drive since the stuffing box sits underneath the engine, making it difficult to access and maintain. I am least familiar with the sail drive option but from what I have read it seems slightly less desirable to the V drive setup. No reason is given for why they switched to the V drive setup from the sail drive after the first 50 boats but I must imagine they thought it better somehow.

My reservations about the sail drive setup are as follows. With a sail drive the prop is well below the hull where it can find such things as strands of kelp or in a worst case the bottom. The sail drive unit also requires a larger hole in the bottom of the boat and it is my understanding that there is a seal that needs to be maintained on a relatively frequent bases (5 years or so). Sail drive is like having an outboard lower unit powered by an inboard engine.

I am also with eherlihy in that I would not buy a boat with a working Volvo engine in it. I also think that a Beta engine would be the ultimate best choice but will likely be quite costly. I will mention that there are other engines that could be used. Among them is the gas powered Atomic 4 which can be configured into a V drive set up. A refurbished Atomic 4 would set you back less than half the cost of a new Beta engine. See if you can find Maurice (or Mo) down at the waterfront as he is very knowledgeable about the Atomic 4. To research more about this engine go to Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin

It seems to me that converting your boat over to a direct drive set up would be very difficult as the engine would need to be moved forward into the cabin, thus requiring extensive interior changes. This is why the designers chose the V drive set up as it would fit into the existing designed engine space.

My own prejudices notwithstanding about sail drive units, I believe that there are still some manufacturers that use the sail drive set up on new models.

So, your choices are:
- drive configuration (I'd recommend converting to V drive over sail drive)
- engine/power plant (I'd recommend the Atomic 4 or a new Beta if money is no object)

Good luck. It seems like a very nice boat.

#12 ·
A point of clarification / explanation to Caleb's post; the V-drive, and the Saildrive, are designed to give more room in the cabin. Also, the sail drive unit sits behind the keel, and is somewhat protected by it. Yanmar also manufactures them.

Like Caleb, I am not a fan of Saildrives, although they are becoming more and more popular in many kinds of boats. (Catamarans, I believe that some Hunters are offered with a Saildrive, or an option to be built with a traditional drive line) I personally know of a Tartan 3400 that had a 2006 vintage Yanmar Saildrive that had issues with galvanic corrosion. The boat had to be hauled and the unit was replaced (not the engine though) under the mfr. warranty. The owner lost 2 seasons of use of her boat as the boat was hauled and the warranty claims process dragged on.

#13 ·
A point of clarification / explanation to Caleb's post; the V-drive, and the Saildrive, are designed to give more room in the cabin. Also, the sail drive unit sits behind the keel, and is somewhat protected by it. Yanmar also manufactures them.

Like Caleb, I am not a fan of Saildrives, although they are becoming more and more popular in many kinds of boats. (Catamarans, I believe that some Hunters are offered with a Saildrive, or an option to be built with a traditional drive line) I personally know of a Tartan 3400 that had a 2006 vintage Yanmar Saildrive that had issues with galvanic corrosion. The boat had to be hauled and the unit was replaced (not the engine though) under the mfr. warranty. The owner lost 2 seasons of use of her boat as the boat was hauled and the warranty claims process dragged on.
That's pretty bad at least it was sorted under warranty. Im sure the option was there for the ownwr to just pay for it. I imagine there's a pretty long story there.

#14 ·
I can second the Beta Marine idea. I am in the middle of replacing my YanmarYSM 12 with a Beta Marine 14. While I am no fan of saildrives, the thought of converting a saildrive boat to a shaft drive would keep me awake nights. That is a BIG hole to fill. I've seen it done, but if you want a simple swap, I'd stay with the saildrive.
By all means call Beta. The specialize in repowers ( I don't know of any US OEM' susing Beta) and are very helpful in figuring out what you need to do.If it is possible to mate a Beta to the volvo drive, they will know how.
My experience with rebuilding older diesels has not been good. The rebuild cost is 80-90% of the cost of a new engine, but the warranty is in months vs years. Newer diesels will likely be lighter and more efficient. In my case there was going from 1 cylinder to 2 which should be a huge reduction in vibration.
Lou

#15 ·
Judging from where you live, and my past experience, if you are not a mechanical guy, just switch the engine to one that works, and is of the same type and model.
Do a Google search of Kijiji and Craigslist for a replacement.
If you have the time afterwards, unseize the old engine, with a few new parts. lol

#17 · (Edited)
Regarding SailDrive, I believe it is most definitely at the benefit of the designer, it lets you have much more flexibility - in smaller boats this usually results in more cabin space. I believe it can be said that with GOOD maintenance, saildrives are OK...if you defer maintenance, you WILL regret it...quickly. I believe the saildrive suffers from dis-similar metal corrosion. The seal is also something that needs to be looked after.

Since you've clearly stated that you intend to keep the boat for a long time, I'd replace with a Beta SailDrive and be attentive to your maintenance program.

It might be a good thing to learn emergency procedure. We know what to do with direct drive...what do you do when a seal fails on a saildrive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.