SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ball Bearings in Diesel Tank

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Don L 
#1 ·
What do you think about putting something like ball bearings in a diesel tank to keep crud from collecting on the bottom? If the tank starts clean, maybe the movement of the ball bearings on the bottom would keep very small stuff suspended. I am trying to think of a way to make a tank self cleaning.

#2 ·
I think the ball bearing thing would be form of passive scrubbing, keeping the bad guys suspended. but you would need to tie in a running 'polishing' system to take out those suspended guys to really 'clean'.
A good access opening to the tank - done by hand periodically - seems like the best to me.
Then you actually see it...and what's in the corners and crannies.

#4 ·
I doubt it would do much, and probably wouldn't work at all if the tank was baffled. Ball bearings rolling around in oil would be too low friction for scrubbing, and it wouldn't stir much given the relative sizes and positioning. I certainly would be concerned about sucking one up against (or into) the pickup tube.

You definitely don't want to do this with an aluminum tank.

If the tank starts clean, then it is easy to keep it clean:
1. Don't put dirty fuel in it
2. Don't let water in it
3. Regularly use the fuel

If you are really concerned, make a good fuel polishing system and run it after fillup and when the boat is sloshing around. Use a high capacity gear pump and a large filter for this - small lift pumps are useless for this purpose.

We had to replace our tank 10yrs ago, so it started out clean. Following the above, the tank is still clean as a whistle inside.

Mark

#6 ·
I would go mad hearing those roll around and don't intuitively think they'll work. Especially in our boat, where the diesel tank is directly beneath our bunk.

A quality biocide and additive that suspends moisture will keep an already clean tank in good shape. I've become a fan of Desl-Shok. No affilaition, but I did have these guys clean my tank too.

Desl-Shok Plus Diesel Fuel Treatment ? USA Fuel Service

#7 ·
I wouldn't do anything other than make noise! It definitely will never put clud into suspension, it takes a lot of power to suspension something that has settled.

Besides why are you interested in clogging up your filters faster.

#10 ·
My thought was that is would never have time to settle. The microscopic material that is in suspension would be able to pass through unfiltered, just as it would if the anti-gunk additive is working.

I think the arguments against this idea are salient. Another argument against using mechanical means to keep the bottom of the tank clean would be that letting gunk settle is actually a good sink for this stuff. Collect it for a few years, then clean it out.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a plastic tank so noise wouldn't be a problem.

If they were larger than the fuel uptake.

You'd only need 1 or 2.

Anything brought up by them would be caught by the Racor. The idea is to constantly move the muck so when u run low on fuel you don't start suckibg up filth that could clog.

Is tank surface fouling that big a problem? Isn't most gunk suspended anyway?

I don't see what harm it could cause.

I agree with Zee. Give it a go :)

Mark

#12 ·
I spent a few years selling a specing mixers for systems, I'm telling you ball bearing rolling around in the bottom of your tank is just a useless idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But hey, it's your boat do whatever you want to you don't need permission from a bunch of internet posters!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.