Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-04-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
If you are adding a new shore power inlet, run your power through a dedicated breaker just for your A/C. You'll also have the added benefit if you don't need heat or cool you won't have to run the second power cord.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
If you mean running the shorepower to a seperate breaker on the marina power, yes. But remember, you have at best a 30amp breaker on most marinas (though some use 50's and it would not be a problem). Add up microwave, charger, and other items, and you could be getting close to that 30amps. Throw in a AC system, and you might go over it. Also, how old is the wiring in your boat and how strong are the connections? Any corrosion? Power loss?

Again, I set mine up for maybe a little seperate purpose than you do. Still, I guess the new shore would cost you 2-3 hundred bucks (including the cord). You can also try putting in the second shore and just pig tailing to see if you trip the breaker. It is the cord that is the expense. That way you already have the box in if you start tripping tripping the breaker but don't have to worry about buying the cord unless you need it. A compromise... like hedging your bets.

http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage...0Shore%20Power

http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage...0Shore%20Power
Old 01-04-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
If you are talking about a breaker coming into the boat... absolutely, always, without question put it in. That would be poor seamanship not to.
Old 01-04-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
I guess I am thinking to much with everyone recomendation of the 16k over the 18.5k thats more than enough savings to run a new shore power cord. As you mentioned we do have a microwave, battery charger, laptop and a hot water heater. on our current power.

Scott
Old 01-04-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Well, just try putting the supply box and go to (err, hmm, West Marine) and buy a pigtail and see if it trips it. If it does trip the breaker, return the product to West and order a shore cord online (save tax, cheaper, etc). Like I said, hedge your bets. The real power useage wont come from the cooling, it will be the heating... in my experience. Still, you never know - you might even trip with cooling.

Best of luck Scott. Write back if you have any questions.

- CD
Old 01-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Scott...Our new 16K btu unit runs at about 16 amps A/C115V. At startup she pops up to about 22. So... if you don't use the A/C along with the microwave or while the battery is on bulk charge...your existing circuit should be OK.
I've found that a lot of marinas don't have DUAL 30 amp plugs available when they are crowded so if you can keep everything off a single cord, that is better for those situations. Another way to go is with 2-30 amp inlets running from a split 50AMP cord but that will run you around 700 bucks for the cords and splitter. Probably not worth worrying about as you can always choose one 30 amp feed instead of the other but at least you have the options.
Old 01-04-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Yeah I checked and the "Y" splitter from 1-30amp to 2-30amp is like $200 on defenders website. The 50' cord is only $90 i will have to check at our new marina what we get for dock power outlets and that may influnce my decesion. how much does a normal microwave draw?

Scott
Old 01-04-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

$200 for a splitter??? You kidding me? THat is freaking rediculous.

I wonder if you could just wire a crossover internally. That would be cheaper. Or just forget it and go buy the cord. Easy for me to say, it is not my money. But the questions is: How much do you love your wife. Better yet, the question is: how comfortable is your cockpit?
Old 01-04-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Microwave... around 8amps-9amps. I think that is right.
Old 01-06-2007

michaelzuzu is on a distinguished road
A positive vote for Ocean Breeze. I purchased a split 12,500 btu system from them for installation in my 30'r. To minimize noise in the saloon the compressor sits in a cockpit locker, with the remote air handler in the cabin interior. It was competitively priced, and has been dependable. Michael