Who'da thunk? - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-21-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Who'da thunk?

About 8 months ago I picked a lil 3hp Yamaha Malta as a spare dinghy motor as our 4 stroke Johnson 15 was getting long in the tooth. We've been using it while the Johnson is in the shop awaiting parts, and the thing runs like a champion, but boy does it burn the gas!
For years on this forum Iíve been reading of folks who cruise with these little outboards on their inflatables, raving about the benefits of the smaller motor. One of the points raised was how fuel efficient they are?
Well, after a month or so of learning extreme patience, I can unequivocally say that the 3 hp Yamaha Malta we have uses at least 10 times more fuel (and oil) than our 15 hp Johnson 4 stroke, to go 1/5th as fast or less.
Donít get me wrong, this little motor starts and runs like a charm and has definitely saved our bacon, but there is no way that these little motors can be considered fuel efficient, especially considering they move the boat at about the same speed as one could row a proper dinghy. I think Iíll stick with the Johnson (as long as she lasts) as it gets such good mileage out of the 2.5 gallon tank that we invariably forget we need gas until we are desperately low. And thatís tootling around at only 15 to 20 knots.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-21-2017

Re: Who'da thunk?

Is that 3hp a 2-stroke Capta?

Iím not much of an outboard motor guy, but Iíve been using our 3.5hp 4-stroke (Tohatsu) for few seasons now. I find she gets great economy if I keep the throttle to 1/2 or less. My little onboard tank will last a long time. But if I try and push it beyond for a bit more speed my little tank drains like thereís a hole in it. Seems thereís a sharp cliff between good mileage and absolutely terrible.

Perhaps this is a characteristic of these small engines??

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-21-2017

I suspect it is a 2-stroke. No doubt the 4-strokes are at least 50% more fuel efficient, and the 2-stroke inefficiency is made worse when pushing a too-small engine to full load or overload.

That is the one thing the small engine brigade overlooks - the engine/prop is often times not matched for the boat, so it is working in an overloaded situation almost constantly. This burns a lot of fuel.

Our 20hp Suzuki on a 300lb 11.5' RIB with two people in it burns 0.6gph at 15kts, so a gallon takes us 25nm. Capta's 3hp at an assumed 3kts would need to burn less than 0.12gph pushing the same dinghy to achieve better range.

I don't know how much a 3hp 2-stroke burns, but I seem to remember my old 2hp Evinrude used more than that pushing around a small hard dink better matched to it.

There is a reason the 2-strokes come with a 6gal tank and the 4-strokes with a 3gal tank.

Mark
StarwindMango likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #4 of 24 Old 01-21-2017

Dock

It's trying to push above hull speed instead of getting on the plane.

On the plane you use very little fuel and you get there faster.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #5 of 24 Old 01-21-2017
Cruising at a snail pace

In the end what is the real dollar cost of an inefficient outboard?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #6 of 24 Old 01-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
It's trying to push above hull speed instead of getting on the plane.......
Yep.
Something small and lite like a 8' portabote would prob get on plane with that 3 2-smoker...w/1 person anyway...
post #7 of 24 Old 01-21-2017

Not relevant to the thread really, but FYI; My 10í portabote easily planes using my 3.5hp 4-stroke with one overweight person on board . Even with a normal load it gets up pretty easy. It will plane with two on board, but only in ideal conditions.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-21-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
It's trying to push above hull speed instead of getting on the plane.

On the plane you use very little fuel and you get there faster.
We don't push it that hard, Mark. There's a sweet spot between going nowhere and pushing too much water and that's where I try to run. The dink and motor weigh about 160#. About 100# more with the 15, so it's a pretty light rig for an 11.5 foot inflatable.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #9 of 24 Old 01-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
In the end what is the real dollar cost of an inefficient outboard?
It's your backup, that lite too-small motor...the what-if motor you dragged onboard, just in case...and lo and behold, you're glad you did..

I have a small 2 or 2.5hp 2-smoke Nissan that's been hibernating in storage for too many years, and it's going onboard.
capta likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-21-2017

If it's not on plane, no prob, just needs more quarters dropped in the slot per mile.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.