SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mysterious white / purple stain?

761 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MarkofSeaLife 
#1 ·
I noticed this last winter too on my 1986 Newport 30. Please disregard the mildew. Hard to fight the rain in the northwest.

Each of my hinges on my cockpit storage have this purple stain, with a clear (white) section in the middle, coming off of them. I think the metal is dissolving and leaching away. The chrome/nickle plating is also starting to wear away. Acid rain?
The stains seems to wash off and disappear once Spring comes and I start washing the boat again. Any chance of stopping this, or are new hinges in my future?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm guessing someone "polished" the hinges with something and the rain/melting snow washed it across the seat. Let me know what it was, 'cause it seems like a good mildew cleaner/preventer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.