Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-05-2007

marinesniper is on a distinguished road
Plastic Fuel Tank...

Hello agian,

I want to first thank everyone for all of there advise and help...

My Sail boat was built in 1981 and to my knowledge it has been sitting around for a couple years without moving. Some of you may have followed my other thread about starting problems. I have had to change alot of engine components, fuel pump, injector pump, injectors due to failure.

I think I should buy another new fuel tank to be safe and not have further problems.

I have seen some 18 gallon plastic tanks on West Marine's web site that will fit with some minor mods to the housing on the boat.

For the price the plastic tanks look attractive but I want to get some opinions as to purchasing an metal or plastic tank.

thank you....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I got my boat new and it came with plastic tanks (fuel & water) and I think they're great. I suppose WM plastic tank comes complete with necessary holes/mount for instrument and hoses to make your job of fit-out alot easier.
Old 01-06-2007

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
My plastic fuel tank is 36 yrs. old, no leaks,I don't know if todays tanks give that kind of longivity,with the current computerized engineering to fail at warranty experation + 90 days. Art.
Old 01-06-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
The only plastic tank I ever saw fail was 20 years old and failed at a corner seam. Most plastics can be readily "welded" with appropriate repair candles, available from wholesale plastics distributors. New fittings are easy too, I think it is tempo who sells kits through west.
Old 02-14-2007

aruggiero is on a distinguished road
Water Tank

I know I am not posting this right but I can't figure out how to post a new message. We have a 1980 37Ē Endeavour that has a 100 gallon water tank, We have a problem with one of the outlets on the tank. We canít get water from it. It seems that there should be a tube or something connected inside but we are not sure. The water is drawn from the top of the tank. I called Florida Marine Tanks and they said that they need the model information from the tank before they can help. I went to the boat to check it and I canít read the model number. It says it was manufactured in 1980 Ė Lot #23. It is a 100 gallon tank and the hose connections are on the top. It was manufactured by Florida Marine Tanks. Iím pretty sure that all the 37í Endeavours have these tanks. It is very old and the numbers that I have here are all that are I can read. There are two hoses connected now and one more port that has a plug in it. The port that works is connected to the pressure water system. If the tank is COMPLETELY full the manual tap will draw water but once the water level drops below full it wonít work anymore. If the manual pump is connected to the port the pressure water is drawn from it works. I think it needs a pickup tube ore something like that in there Ė Iím not sure what it is called. It might be a very simple piece of plumbing but I donít know what piece it would be. The inspection port screws are too stripped to remove it and see the difference in the port that is working and the one that isnít. We are afraid we wonít be able to get it back on if we ever get it off. If you have any idea what the problem might be I would appreciate any information. I guess the real question is what plumbing needs to be on the inside of the tank to draw water from a top draw tank?