SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Perko alcohol stove -- help!

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  L124C 
#1 ·
Hi--

I managed to obtain an old Perko alcohol stove. It is a pressure alcohol stove, really nice in chromed brass and cast iron. When I brought it home I realized I had no idea how to work it. Anyone ever used one? How do you pump it up?

Thanks, Trish
Sea Mist C-28

#2 ·
i don''t have a perko, but I have a seaward. I don''t know if the procedure is identical, but i''m guessing its probably similiar.

1 - get a bicycle pump and pump to 13-15 psi.
2 - fill a small squirt bottle w/ alcohol. squirt a small amount into the priming bowl. Alternately, open the burner valve up for about 2 seconds. You''ll here a "pshhhs" as the alcohol comes out.
3 - light the alcohol in the priming bowl. use one of those butane lighters with the long spout (for lighting bbq''s etc. about 2 or 3 dollars.
4 - let it all burn off. at least 60 seconds. the idea is to get the burner so hot that it vaporizes the alcohol.
5 - turn on burner and cook. you should have a small blue flame. if it flares up, shut it off and preheat again.

#4 ·
I have a Seaward pressurized alcohol stove. After I have the stove started and running, I notice that the color of the diffuser in the middle of the burner is either bright red or dull red. I can adjust the air/fuel mixture to change the color/temp of the diffuser. Does anyone know what color/temp the diffuser is supposed to be? I don''t want to burn up the diffuser by running it too hot. Thanks

#6 ·
redwhite
The diffuser in the middle of the burner will be different shades of red depending whether the burner is on full or turned down to a medium flame. With an alcohol stove you can't get it hot enough to cause damage so don't worry.

grey99
If you have an external tank you will need the pump. If it has an internal tank the pump will be built in.
Brian

#8 · (Edited)
Be careful!

Be careful when priming your stoves. Err on the side of caution and initially allow only 1 second of fuel to flow before shutting it off and lighting it. If that's not enough try a little more. It doesn't take much to heat the tubes, which is all you are trying to do. Priming with too much fuel is dangerous, and the fumes are literally breath taking. Be patient until you know your stove. I realy like my alcohol stove. I think most of the horror stories you hear are from people not paying attention in the priming process. Once the fuel is turned into a gas, it is very manageable. I have been involved in a couple of threads here concerning the Great Propane vs. Alcohol debate that will give you a lot of insight if you search for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.