Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2007

Cruiserwannabe will become famous soon enough
Garmin gpsmap478

Folks has does anyone have and have any feedback on the garmin gpsmap 478?I am thinking of buying one,also how about the use of xm and xm-wx wheather with these units how well does this work.
thanks for any feedback..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The GPSMap 478 is the followup to the 276 series...which works quite nicely, both for automotive and marine use. The major difference is that the 478 has the BlueChart G2 coastal charts built in, which the older 276/376 did not. Also, the 478 can accept the XM weather radio receiver, which the 276 could not.

I've used the 376 as well as the 276, and the XM weather seems to work fairly well. The only possible complaint you may have is the size of the screen is rather small. If you don't have the need for the automotive use of the GPS, it might make more sense to go with the GPSMap 492, which is marine use only, and has a much larger screen. There is also a new unit coming out shortly, the GPSMap 440, which I believe will be replacing the 492.

The 492 is a good deal less expensive as well, going for about $600 retail, versus $950 retail for the 478.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-08-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2007

Cruiserwannabe will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the feedback Sailingdog,I kinda like the thought of taking it from the car to the boat......but your right how much do I really need it in the car and the screen size sure would be a draw back.
I will look at the models you suggested thank.
Old 01-08-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserwannabe
Folks has does anyone have and have any feedback on the garmin gpsmap 478?I am thinking of buying one,also how about the use of xm and xm-wx wheather with these units how well does this work.
thanks for any feedback..
I'm a pilot and use a Garmin GPSMap 396 with XM weather regularly while I'm flying. I also use it while driving and the GPS is very funtional in that mode also. I have not used this unit on the boat because the aviation unit is too expensive and not designed for the rigors of a marine environment.

I have to say I believe the XM weather feature is the greatest safety advance for flying since the advent of GPS. It provides in cockpit access to current conditions and forecasts in grapical and text formats , NextRad depictions of precipitation, cloud cover and lightning. The marine weather subscription has many of the same features but but the aviation forecasts are dropped in favor of wave heights and other stuff of interest to folks on a boat.

The only downside is, the XM weather subscription is somewhat pricy and may be less vital on a boat where you have less abilty to avoid whatever weather is coming than you do in an airplane.
Old 01-10-2007

HyperJoe is on a distinguished road
I have the 478 and love it. Only issues that suck is wires given for boat install. Just not long enough and almost useless. They are gettting down to almost a grand now...so price is great.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.