Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-08-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
The right kind of puller and the prop will not turn as it is self contained with a locknut and all the presure is parrallel to the shaft.
pigslo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
OK, here is a blow-by-blow description of how to pull your prop from someone who does it for a living. It is very unlikely that you will be able to remove the prop without a prop puller. I wouldn't even bother trying to do it without one.

Tools you will need:
Prop puller (a gear puller will be difficult to use by yourself underwater)
Pipe wrench
Pliers
Flathead screwdriver
3' or 4' length of lumber (preferably 2"X2")
Small sledge hammer (optional)

Procedure:
1.- Pry up the ends of the cotter pin with the screwdriver. Use the pliers to pull the pin from the shaft.
2.- Place the 2X2 between the strut and rudder. This will immobilize the prop as you use the pipe wrench to remove the prop nut(s) from the shaft. Leave one nut on the the shaft near the end of the threads as this will keep the prop from falling off the shaft when it pops free.
3.- Place the puller on the shaft. Remember that you want the pulling force to be as nearly aligned with the shaft as possible. Any angle in the pull will tend to cause the prop to bind as it comes off. Snug the puller up against the end of the shaft and the forward end of the prop hub. It just needs to be snug, this is not where the pulling force comes from.
4.- Begin tightening the puller. Do not over-tighten as it is possible to break the puller. If the prop does not come off immediately, bang on the aft end of the puller with the pipe wrench or hammer. If this does not free the prop, remove the puller and rotate the prop a bit and reset the puller in a new spot. Repeat instructions 3 and 4 until the prop comes loose. Pressure, vibration and persistance are key here. Keep the pressure on and bang the hell out of the puller. All props will come off, but some just take more effort.
5.- The prop will likely pop loose quite forcibly. Once it does, rotate it so that the shaft key is on top of the shaft. Remove the prop nut and slide the prop off the shaft. Be sure to see if the key has remained in the keyway in the shaft. It may want to stick inside the prop. Either way, be aware of it as you will need to use it with the new prop.
6.- Put the key back into the keyway on the shaft (if it came out during removal.)
7.- Slide the new prop onto the shaft. Force it up hard enough that it does not slide back down.
8.- Re-install the larger of the two prop nuts. Hand tight is fine.
9.- Place the 2X2 between the strut and rudder.
10.- Using the pipe wrench, tighten the main nut as tight as you can get it. Repeat this process with the jam nut (if you have a 2-nut system.)
11.- Put a new cotter pin in the shaft and bend the ends over with the pliers. You're done!

I generally line all my tools up on the edge of the dock for easy and safe access. The puller I attach to the prop shaft with a short lanyard as it will fall away from the shaft when the prop comes loose. You can do the same with the wrench or hammer to give your arm a rest in case you're doing a lot of pounding. If the distance between your strut and rudder are too great for your 2X2 to span, you can wedge the 2X2 up against the shaft forward of the strut on the opposite side of the strut where the wood will be lodged.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fstbttms; 01-08-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Fstbttms, thanks for the write out. I'm beginning to feel the difficulty of the underwater job.
Old 01-09-2007

Mick Young is on a distinguished road
Dont forget that to swing a hammer underwater require a fair amount of effort, much of which is wasted. This isnt an easy task, just doing up nuts is a apian as when we are on dry land our body weight assists us, down there itb just goes around instead of the nut. Best of luck and have fun!

Keep it black side down

Mick
Old 01-09-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020
Fstbttms, thanks for the write out. I'm beginning to feel the difficulty of the underwater job.
No worries, my pleasure. It's really not that difficult, but like any job (even more so, underwater) having the proper tools is essential to a successful outcome.
Old 03-03-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
OK, guys, I've managed to change my prop. What an effort but its done. The 2x4 block of wood sures help in getting the nuts off the shaft. The extractor did take some getting used to as it keeps dropping off (boat is surging with tide).
Old 03-03-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations... let us know in a while how you feel about the Campbell prop!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.