Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-08-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Need New Boat Shoes

the last time i bought boat shoes (rockports)..i got em for arch support, now i've found, i am sliding like a big dog across the deck, rendering them pretty useless for sailing.
i have come to the realization that happy feet make me a happy skipper (and those around me happier too)...soooo..anyone here have any suggestions for quality shoes w/ good arch support?

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I use Sperry that I buy for $50 to $70 in the USA when I visit. Allways buy 3 pair.
Old 01-08-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
L.L. Bean -- $29.99
Old 01-08-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Got a pair of Crocs for Christmas. Boat is on the hard for the winter so I have yet to try them out on the water but my wife has had them for some time and they provide good traction. I have been wearing them and they are very comfortable. Also read a report in the Washington Post that they actually have some therapeutic value regarding foot problems. Around 30 bucks a pair.

Last edited by SailinJay; 01-08-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sam...Lats & Atts has closeouts going on these Tevas which I find giveGREAT support compared to ordinary docksiders etc. ...may not be the style you are looking for bt they DO treat your feet nice and are good on deck.
http://www.latsandatts.com/store/home.php?cat=312
Old 01-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
EHEHEHEHEHE hey Cam, if you use those here, you get a lot of Broke mountain cowboys waiving at you!!!
Old 01-08-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinJay
Got a pair of Crocs for Christmas. Boat is on the hard for the winter so I have yet to try them out on the water but my wife has had them for some time and they provide good traction. I have been wearing them and they are very comfortable. Also read a report in the Washington Post that they actually have some therapeutic value regarding foot problems. Around 30 bucks a pair.
Jay,
thanks..i have a pair of crocs, and although really lightweight, they tend not to have the arch support i need (i have really high arches and have to wear orthotics in my sneakers and chef shoes after having plantar fascitis in both feet)...
uhm..not quite sure i can get my arms around the Tevas..no matter how much support they give...
anybody have experience w/ dunham?...
Old 01-08-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Sam- I'm really surprised the Rockports aren't providing good traction. They are my favorite boat shoes for both comfort and traction and have never had a problem.

G- Stop picking on Cams little shoes, their cute!
Old 01-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Giu...you said:
"EHEHEHEHEHE hey Cam, if you use those here, you get a lot of Broke mountain cowboys waiving at you!!!"

In other words about half the population of Portugal would be waving at me??
Old 01-08-2007

Just remembered this.

My father in law has high arch and suffers from other feet problems. For him, the regular dock side shoe is very unconfortable.

So he went to a tennis store and bought a pair of NIKE shoes, (I believe )whose sole was specifically designed for grass tennis courts. They are perfect as the tennis shoes soles have a "brake" design at the bone behind the big finger (I don't know the name, so call me stupid), (ball of the foot??), and have excellent grip.

Now the beauty is that inside because they are designed for hard impact on ground, the arch is very high.

The downside is they are leather and it was not made for sae water. But they make them in cloth, too.

Hope it helps, he is very happy. I had forgotten about him.