Bottom paint for Pacific Northwest - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 02-11-2017 Thread Starter

Bottom paint for Pacific Northwest

After 3 seasons on Georgian Bay, this year's spring prep is going to be a bit different.
We're moving to Victoria, BC this summer and have decided to take our cherised CS36 with us.
This hull has never seen salt. The heat exchanger seems to be in reasonable shape. We're replacing zincs and the remaining older through hulls, but the main project is getting the bottom ready.

We currently apply 1 coat of VC17 yearly, which has probably a few thousandths' buildup at most.
Our plan is to keep the boat in the water, hauling every 2-3years for new bottom paint.
Realistically, she is mostly going to be tied up at the dock: At most, we're looking at 2 or 3 day or weekend trips per month, 1 or 2 week long trips over the summer and minimal use over the winter.
Our cruising ground is going to be the Salish Sea and cruising/sailing speed is about 5-6 knots.

Plan is to have the yard here sand off all the VC to gelcoat and apply new bottom paint prior to trucking.
I would appreciate some recommendations on what folks commonly use out west.
Searching prior threads, it seems ablatives (eg. Micron CSC) are most common but I wonder if a hard bottom (eg. Petit Trinidad) is more suited for our infrequent use.
Never done this before, so open to all suggestions!

thank you,

Novic
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-11-2017

Re: Bottom paint for Pacific Northwest

I bought a boat last summer and had it hauled for bottom job and some other repairs. This 1986 boat had been mostly in fresh water, but I was taking her to salt water to live up in Port Angeles. I discussed bottom paints with the yard owner and every option he gave me was some form of ablative paint. The other boat owners I've talked with since all use ablative bottom paint. I expect to haul every other year based on feedback I've gotten from other owners.

Dave
Port Angeles, WA
Sabre S32
post #3 of 27 Old 02-11-2017

Bottom paint one of my favorite subjects , one thing I found out is that for our boat a barrier coat is useless . Reason for that is the hull produces blisters because of the lay up it's self nothing to do with water penetration . Now because you are up there and I'm down here all I can do is tell you what works for us . First time we painted (25yrs.ago) we used Pettit Trinadad it has a extremely high copper content , it worked well it lasted ok but I like to go a little longer like 5 yrs. instead of 3 yrs . like you should . At the end of 5 yrs. we were covered with bare spots and my diver took me off his Christmas list . About 10 yrs. ago my yard manager told me to use Z Spar B-90 same copper content as the Pettit but is a harder paint and will lasts 5 yrs . And it does , but that is false economy because after 3 yrs. it quits working but at least you don't get bare spots . Please enjoy some pics.

Last edited by Markwesti; 02-11-2017 at 03:42 PM.

post #4 of 27 Old 02-11-2017

I had good luck with the Woolsey Neptune ablative bottom while in Seattle. link for you here:

http://www.woolseypaint.com/2016Wool...ublication.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #5 of 27 Old 02-11-2017
Just another Moderator

We used Micron CSC for decades but lately I've switched to Petit horizons.. goes farther, costs less, and the slime falls off on its own once you start moving. Cleans easier with a brush too. We are getting 2+ years out of it.
jrd22 and mitiempo like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 27 Old 02-11-2017

I realize the OP will be in BC but just in case people from WA are reading this, note the new regs on copper bottom paint:

RCW 70.300.020
Antifouling paint containing copper.
(1) Beginning January 1, 2018, no manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or distributor may sell or offer for sale in this state any new recreational water vessel manufactured on or after January 1, 2018, with antifouling paint containing copper.
(2) Beginning January 1, 2020, no antifouling paint that is intended for use on a recreational water vessel and that contains more than 0.5 percent copper may be offered for sale in this state.
(3) Beginning January 1, 2020, no antifouling paint containing more than 0.5 percent copper may be applied to a recreational water vessel in this state.
[ 2011 c 248 § 3.]
post #7 of 27 Old 02-12-2017
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
First time we painted (25yrs.ago) we used Pettit Trinadad it has a extremely high copper content , it worked well it lasted ok but I like to go a little longer like 5 yrs. instead of 3 yrs . Like you should .
5 years "like you should"? A completely unrealistic expectation for any anti fouling paint.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
5 years "like you should"? A completely unrealistic expectation for any anti fouling paint.
Depends on your region, right?

As to the OP, I've had very good luck up here in the PNW with PPG's ABC #3. We're currently on our fifth year, and will most likely haul this spring for new. My experience of course is anecdotal, as are other opinions here. YMMV.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #9 of 27 Old 02-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Yes Fstbttms my friend , 5 yrs is to long that's why I said "3 yrs like you should" . I don't think you really read my post , no matter. You being a diver and all what is your favorite paint ?

Last edited by Markwesti; 02-12-2017 at 12:04 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-12-2017
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
Depends on your region, right?
No, it does not. Anti fouling paints leach their biocides at the same rate 24/7/365 regardless of where they are being used. Properly applied, these products will deplete their biocides in about 3 years or so. That is simply the nature of the beast. If you feel that your paint is still working well after 5 years, it is not because the paint is still doing its job. It's because fouling is not a real issue in your sailing grounds.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.