SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bottom paint on propeller? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/27625-bottom-paint-propeller.html)

aphil138 01-08-2007 10:19 PM

Bottom paint on propeller?

I have my prop and shaft out of the boat while I install a PSS dripless packing. While I was inspecting the prop and removing the bottom paint from it, it appears that underneath the bottom paint is epoxy or some kind of grey primer. Is it usual for the salt water guys to paint their props and shaft? If so what do you all use?
fresh water guy
alan

Fstbttms 01-08-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphil138
IIs it usual for the salt water guys to paint their props and shaft?

While it is not unusual to find painted props on boats that live in saltwater, it is certainly not the norm. Further, the practice is not particularly effective, as most coatings are scrubbed off the prop (by water action over the blades) in a relatively short time.

georgellop 01-08-2007 10:50 PM

.... check out "PROPSPEED".

k1vsk 01-08-2007 11:30 PM

The gray is more than likley Petit Zinc Coat Barrier Primer. It is used, as it's name implies, as a primer under copper based bottom paint, on metal surfaces such as props to minimize the potential for galvanic corrosion caused by the copper paint in contact with the bronze prop.
If you are going to repaint the prop, make sure you use it or something similar.

camaraderie 01-08-2007 11:53 PM

I've heard that if you use black magic marker and "color" your whole prop with it, the barnacles stay off. Anyone have any actual experience with this?

hellosailor 01-09-2007 12:51 AM

Cam, I heard that Howard Hunt ran out and cornered the commodity market on black markers, he's not going to release the test results until he owns ALL the markers and can make another killing by selling them to the sailors who find out how effective this really is. <WEG>

After five or ten years of the same rumor....wouldn't someone have already proved it worked, published it, and confirmed it by now? Or, is Sharpie repressing the information so their sales aren't regulated as "pesticides" ?

Wayne25 01-09-2007 01:32 AM

Interlux Primocon is a gray underwater primer for metals and a primer for antifouling paint. I used it this year on my Penn Yan inboard SS shaft and prop with good success.

camaraderie 01-09-2007 01:41 AM

HS...didn't know the rumour was that old...just heard it a few months ago...Oh well...I'll go back to playing with my algae-x magnetic filter! <g>

pigslo 01-09-2007 01:50 AM

I hear swine urine is very effective.

sailingdog 01-09-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigslo
I hear swine urine is very effective.

Pigslo-

Would this qualify as HAM... :D