SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

RIB pontoons sitting on trailer fenders - How big a problem?

834 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cal31Windchaser 
#1 ·
Just purchased a small standard boat trailer for the RIB. Adjusted bunks as high as possible without making any modifications. Pontoons rest slightly on the trailer fenders. Am I asking for trouble with abrasion of the pontoons. Would like to know if anyone has done this and what the results were.

To lift higher will require installing spacers below the bunks. If I can get away with it would just like to leave it alone. Too many other things to do.

#7 ·
Hi knuterikt. It looks like the pontoons are just barely touching the fenders. The fenders are plastic and don't seem to be deforming at all. However, the thoughtful advice being given here is inspiring me to try to raise the bunks enough to get some separation. I also use a strap over the dinghy to further tie it down and one suggested i should pad that as well.

I used to transport the dink on a DIY cradle built on my utility trailer. With wheels on the dink transom I would tilt it up and roll it off the cradle down to the water. Worked pretty good until the cradle broke recently and resulted in my diving head-long down a boat ramp. After this mishap I decided to use a real boat trailer like the big boys do. I saw several "inflatable" boat trailers that support the pontoons on bunks but the vendor I purchased the dink from said to always support a RIB on the solid fiberglass hull when transporting. So that is how i wound up with the standard trailer that isn't really sized for the RIB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.