SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Electric head questions

908 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
Thinking about replacing myanual Groco with something electric but have a few questions for those more knowledgeable.

1. My current bowl faces bow and discharges to port... will electric install be a problem or can discharge be adjusted to fit current plumbing?

2. My plumbing as I said runs to port 1' does a 90 turn aft at that point runs level about 4' all pvc then another 90 vertical. Goes up about 24" to Yvalve and then drops about 6" to 35gal holding tank. Will those 90 turns or 24" of vertical lift be a problem for the electric head pump?

3. Current setup is plumbed to bring sea water from a thru hull will that be a problem with electric?

4. After the first 90 turn I have a joker. Does an electric install still require the joker?

Thanks folks. Sorry for all the questions but I have no experience with an electric head and not a lot with manuals except I have rebuilt the Groco pump twice and replaced holding tank...

#2 ·
I replaced my Jabsco manual pump with the Jabsco compact electric a few years ago and it has worked flawlessly. It bolts to the same foot print and hoses so it was an easy install. Ran the electric wires to a switch so I can turn off the power when not on the boat. I'm not sure if the foot print is the same for the Groco though.

#3 ·
I have a Jabsco compact electric and I have been happy with it . Mine has a 2' lift and then about a 4' downhill run to the tank. on an electric toilet, a 'blender chopper blade' macerates the contents to small particles right at the toilet base. Mine has a joker valve right at the toilet base exit, and yes a joker valve is still required. Water intake is the same as a manual toilet.

One of the advantages of an electric toilet is that operation is very easy for guests, no explanation about 'open this to pump, then close this, then pump some more". Guests just push the button and they are done. What guests don't understand is to keep running until the entire run of pipes clears, once the business is out of the bowl they think they are done; out of sight - done. Easy to fix, I just run it a good long 10 second run at the end of the day to clear the lines.

It is very noisy however, no chance anyone will miss that you visited the head in the middle of the night....... :)

#4 ·
If you are switching to an electric toilet it might be worth thinking about changing over to fresh water flushing. This will reduce smells, corrosion and cut down the buildup of that ceramic stuff in the lines.

#7 ·
We have a Jabsco Electric Head Conversion Kit on our aft toilet, mostly for the convenience of the "girls" (my much better half and daughter), that has worked perfectly for 15 years. A couple of things:

We keep a squeeze bottle with a solution of SaltAway and fresh water in the head compartment and after each use, add a few squirts to the water in the bowl and "blip" it into the discharge hose and, with that, have had no build-up of any debris in the hose as I confirmed when changing out a very old ball-valve on the line a few months ago.

We have a Jabsco Pump-guard in-line raw water strainer on the intake line positioned such that I can periodically open it to remove any trapped debris; and, fill it with "head Lube" that lubricates the pump's impeller chamber preserving the life of the impeller. (We do carry a spare "just in case" however.)

FWIW...

#8 ·
capta-
Even Google's translate can unmangle that and present it very cleanly:
"Please do not put anything in this toilet that you have not eaten first."
Not a literal translation, but (as literal translations always are) that would be even less elegant.
Here in the Colonies, I'd be more concerned about why there were Germans getting involved in my head use, let alone directing me how to go about it.

Over 600 spoken languages on the planet, and only one set of instructions? None in Braille, either? Hardly ADA compliant.(G)

#9 ·
capta-
Here in the Colonies, I'd be more concerned about why there were Germans getting involved in my head use, let alone directing me how to go about it.
Since the vast majority of our customers are either from Germany or German speaking Europeans, it seemed an appropriate language to use. Even the Scandahovians we've had can read and understand German.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.