Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-13-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Doesn't seem to be too many places that sell them here in the USA. Did a Google search. Looks like there is a Canadian factory.

Wayne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
That's what I've always wondered. If it's that great how come nobody sells them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of marine products are made by small companies and not widely available at first. I don't believe the Rocna anchors are all that old a design btw. As part of full disclosure... I have one and have been very happy with it, but do not have any affiliation with the company other than being a customer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-13-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Manson vs. Rocna

As I've told Craig before, I purchased my Manson as an experiment and it became my primary anchor. I actually completely test my anchors in areas I know to be troublesome for holding and setting. If the Rocna is that much better than my manson I may buy one once Craig gets his US distribution network in place. The cost is a big issue though. I have a tough time understanding why the Rocna costs double what the Manson does. I could see maybe 20% more but but not double (based on the price I paid at Hamilton Marine).. I personally did not have great luck with my Delta but, due to Craigs glowing praise, I may test it against the Spade again this spring to see which anchor wins as a back up. My Manson sets, holds and stays set so much better than any other anchor I've ever owned that it makes it tough to fathom the Rocna could be that much better....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-13-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36
The cost is a big issue though. I have a tough time understanding why the Rocna costs double what the Manson does. I could see maybe 20% more but but not double (based on the price I paid at Hamilton Marine)..
Now hold on. I don't like quoting prices as they tend to get out-of-date, but here's an exception. Suncoast Marine's pricing (in Vancouver) for Rocna converted to USD vs Hamilton Marine's pricing for Manson Supreme:

Code:
Kg	lbs	Rocna Canada	Supreme Hamilton
4.0	8.8	$196	
6.0	13.2	$235	
6.8	15.0			$190
10.0	22.0	$312	
11.3	25.0			$280
15.0	33.1	$383	
15.9	35.0			$398
20.0	44.1	$512	
20.4	45.0			$510
25.0	55.1	$619	
27.2	60.0			$678
33.0	72.8	$725
And Hamilton don't seem to go any higher with sizes so I've stopped the comparison there.
All net prices.

"Double" seems unfair.

Quote:
My Manson sets, holds and stays set so much better than any other anchor I've ever owned that it makes it tough to fathom the Rocna could be that much better....
Ref. the testing, and construction issues.

Quote:
I personally did not have great luck with my Delta but, due to Craigs glowing praise, I may test it against the Spade again this spring to see which anchor wins as a back up.
Don't bother, the Spade is better. I'm not saying the Delta is perfect, but it's pretty good. Not to be dismissed as "just another plow" along with the CQR etc.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Craig Smith; 07-08-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2007

Jujuca is on a distinguished road
looks like Craig missed a few posts.....
Old 01-13-2007

dawndreamer is on a distinguished road
Craig,

I am seriously considering the Ronca as the primary anchor for my new boat. She is 15.21 m overall, 14.58 m on deck, 13.36 m waterline and she has a listed displacement of 14,900 kg. Am I correct in assuming that the 40 kg is the correct size?
Old 01-13-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
What is this, a thread that competing anchor companies can tout their wares? "Oh look, we've taken a CQR and filed an arrow point on it and put a ring on it and now we're something different and the best, and here's a bunch of charts that proves it" Give me a break!

I like cruisingdad's rock on a rope. In other words if it works for you, it Works. The FACT is, there's no perfect anchor for all conditions. What does work is an attentive skipper, the right (big enough) anchor for the conditions, and iron rode. You guys with the perfect anchor . . . .Just stay the hell away from me.
Old 01-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
ian...while i am very tired of these anchor threads myself...everyone still has to pick the 2 anchors that will work "best" for them. How else does a newbie pick one except by listening to everyone tout their anchor as best and the experience the membership has had?? You and I both know that there are several anchors that will work for our boats and our cruising areas and others we would not consider. New cruisers end up with some terrible stuff on their bows sometimes...and end up dragging OUR rodes along with them!... so to the extent that this helps a few along the way...it is worthwhile if tiresome.
I don't think craig or alain go too far in touting their products and competing test results and interpertations especially since they also provide good advice about the general subject. We can't all be like Halekai and do our own test so it is interesting to see all the DIFFERENT results especially when they are done by independent organizations.
Besides....I have an idea for a new anchor...I've busy welding a Rocna, Spade and Manson into something that looks like a treble hook. So far it is superior to everything on the market but I can't get it up off the bottom once it is dug in. I think I need to add a CQR for a quick release!
Old 01-14-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawndreamer
I am seriously considering the Ronca as the primary anchor for my new boat. She is 15.21 m overall, 14.58 m on deck, 13.36 m waterline and she has a listed displacement of 14,900 kg. Am I correct in assuming that the 40 kg is the correct size?
You could get away with a 33, which is rated for a 16m boat up to 15 tonnes. Our sizing is conservative to start with, but your boat is at the upper end of that range, and actual weights always tend to be more than listed displacements. If you're leaning toward the 40 anyway, then why not go for the larger size.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.