Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-14-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Over the years, I have anchored with Danforth and CQR hooks with pretty good success. We used all chain on some occasions and we used nylon rope with a shot of chain at anchor end otherwise.

Glad I didn't know how ineffective those things were. I'd never have been able to sleep!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2007

mrkeith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36
My guess would be that you have most likely not been setting your anchor and the chain and "cynder block effect" have been holding you. Anchors MUST be set and should hold your boat in reverse at full throttle period. Full reverse throttle with a sail boat aux engine is barely 25 knots of wind in terms of force. I run approx 40 feet of 3/8 chain to a 5/8 rode with my anchor and it holds perfectly fine. You really MUST set an anchor by either backwinding the sails or backing down using the motor. Using the cynderblock and all chain technique is fine in benign conditions but not with winds over 15 knots. I have watched literally thousands of anchorings over the years where there was NO setting of the anchor. If this is what you are doing don't feel so bad this is a common theme among boaters. Though not a good theme!
yep, you are right, no offense taken!
thanks for the good point
Old 01-29-2007

MansonAnchors is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great response Halekai36. Its great getting such fantastic feedback on the Manson Supreme.
We dont try and use these forums as a personal sales/marketing tool and hence, dont push our own products on them.
Appreciate the comments and try not to take on too much of what us anchor makers say.....we are all biased. Listen to those who use the products.
Old 01-30-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
We have had great success with inexpensive grappling hooks - we wait until it's quite late and then pull up behind a big heavy gold plated yacht with a profuse array of deployed ground tackle - toss our grappling hook so that it hooks around their stern lifelines - tie it off on our bow cleat and go to bed. In the morning we apologise profusely while we're slipping the line off our bow cleat and sailing off.

In the past we used to lose a couple of anchors a year, average $175.00 - so this is actually cheaper as the hooks only cost about $10.00 each, and we are usually anchored for no more than 20 nights total in a season.
Old 01-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Sailorman,

SO THAT WAS YOU YING UP TO ME!! Just wait until the next time I catch you.

- CD
Old 01-30-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Sailormann -

We usually do something slightly different. We drag our grappling hook across the bottom until we catch the ground tackle of one of the gold plated yachts. Then, when we leave, we accidentally pull up their stainless steel anchor (thinking it's ours). A few weeks later, when all of a sudden we realize that we have an extra anchor on board, we put it on eBay on use the money to repaint our bottom or get more cool boat stuff.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me