Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-11-2007

bduning is on a distinguished road
2Part Paint; How old is too old?

How old is 'too old' when it comes to two part paint?
I have some never opened two part industrial paint (coating made by Sherwin Williams). It is about 5.5 years old and I was wondering if it was still OK to use. I talked to SW and they indicated two to three years is the shelf life. They didnt seem to know what the impact would be if older. I have used some of it on the deck and after one season all seems well. Anyone out there have experience using old paint that could tell me what I might expect to encounter if I use this on the topsides?? Thanks

Bill
SV Noka - 36' Caroff Exploration Super (steel)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
The labor to prepare your topsides is gruelling and the question you need to ask is it worth the cost of new 2 part paint. Maybe you do a small test batch or use it on a dinghy so it does not go to waste.
pigslo
Old 01-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd agree that using it on the topsides may be a big mistake...especially if the MFG says it is past its usable shelf life. You would end up repainted far sooner if it fails than you would if you had used new paint. Using it on the dinghy is not as big a risk... as there is far less prep work then.

Also, if you're going to be using it on your boat, which appears to be a steel boat, the prepwork is a major PITA, and having to do it prematurely is something you'll probably want to avoid.

Hey Pigslo-

Liked your old avatar better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-13-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
By my lights you answered your own question. If you were going to have a problem it would most likely have been in the cure and final appearance. And your deck would be the most stressful environment for testing adhesion-it gets the wear.
Old 01-13-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Sailaway21, I think he said topsides, not deck. Still too much labor to risk.
Pigslo