Practical Sailor anchor testing - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Practical Sailor anchor testing

Did anyone else get the PS email trying to sell their latest report, Anchoring in Sand and Mud? The email had this interesting tease:

Quote:
Seeking answers to these questions produced some dramatic results for this latest report in Practical Sailor's continuing series on the in-the-water performance of about two dozens makes and types of anchors. Rather than one big test aimed at finding the perfect, all-purpose anchor, Practical Sailor has approached this subject carefully. Three years of work thus far has produced these published reports:
  • The first test to see which of 11 different anchors set best in sand. The top three, in order, were the Bulwagga, Spade and Bruce.
  • The second test to review which of 15 had the best holding power in sand. Top-ranked were the Spade, Bulwagga and CQR.
  • The final review to see which of 17 anchors set and hold best in mud. Tops for setting was the Delta with six anchors tied for second; for holding power, the rank was the Barnacle, CQR and Bulwagga.
Is this report available to subscribers? It seems to require an additional fee. If an additional fee, it's just one more reason that I struggle with PS.

Anyway, I wonder which anchors were included in the "dozen". I suppose the Spade is a "next-gen" anchor, but it was interesting that the Rocna and Manson Supreme didn't make the top of the list and surprising to see the strong showing for the CQR above. In the past, I've occasionally found PS testing methods to be flawed. I'm very curious to learn more, but I'm not willing to pay the vig for a one-time use report.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Practical Sailor anchor testing

I've looked at a lot of anchor tests and while they offer good info, I believe the controls are far from perfect.
post #3 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I've looked at a lot of anchor tests and while they offer good info, I believe the controls are far from perfect.
I agree.
olson34 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

I gave up on Practical Sailor in 2013... They don't test apples to apples, and the tests include a pitifully small sample size.

Also; Delta anchors suck.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #5 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Strange test since the Bulwagga and Barnacle anchors went out of business several years ago. What is the point of testing them?

And the CQR beat the Fortress in mud????

I'd save my money…

Mark
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #6 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

Also; Delta anchors suck.
I beg to differ.
bhcva and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #7 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I've done a lot of instrumented anchor testing for articles, books, and my own curiosity. It's like herding cats. The short version is...

* If the bottom is good sand or sticky mud, everything holds and the data is consistent in any given location... but it will vary with location.
* If it is a difficult bottom (soft or hard), the data is all over the place. How soft is the mud? What is the density gradation? Is it layered with shells? Are there tree limbs in it? What is the pull rate (it makes a HUGE difference during setting)? Are there rest periods (big difference)? A LOT of repeat testing is needed.

But if the data is all over the place, that means that real-world performance will be too, since we are not machines and the bottom varies. Cruiser anecdotes aren't any better, for the same reasons. Thus...

The best you can do, IMHO, is read a lot of data, and then learn how to set and test an anchor properly. The truth is that you can safely anchor with most any anchor, if it is sized properly and you know how best to use it. We all have our favorites, and I'm not going there!

Writing full-time since 2014

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #8 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Strange test since the Bulwagga and Barnacle anchors went out of business several years ago. What is the point of testing them?......
Typical of PS.

I think they are well intentioned, but underfunded to properly perform testing. They test what they have or can get their hands on inexpensively. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they tested very different anchor sizes/chains and/or did not have access to a popular type. To be clear, I do not know that to be the case. I've only seen it before in other tests, such as running rigging.

I take it, no one has actually seen the report. Can't really understand why anyone would pay specifically for it.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #9 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Cruising at a snail pace

I find anchor tests soooooo unscientific and consider the "results" to be mostly based on chance.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #10 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dock

Except if you are always anchoring in the 1 substrate then you really need to optimize for a variety of anchoring situations.

Does anyone really have 2 picks set up? Each with its own windlass so it can be easily deployed?
All boat I have seen with 2 anchors only have one set to the windlass.

I use a Delta. If I had lotz-a-money I would buy a new Manson Supreme... but the Delta has never dragged in the last 6 years. It dragged once or twice before that before I knew how to set it and put out scope.

Today its 30 knots and I am sitting happy knowing I will be off the boat today and out to dinner tonight.

That peace of mind is worth its weight in rockinghorse ****!

Last night a boat next to me moved. So they must have dragged. Their anchor was one of those flappy dinghy type anchors. I hope they're not half way to Mexico. Oh, and I think they were on a cable rode.

Don't be stupid, get chain, and lots more chain, and a good anchor designed for 'anything' and learn to get it in and holding

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.