Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2007

theWindchime is on a distinguished road
Broach and knockdowns are a concern for us, as we are corky enough with the high 36" free-boards.

The reason for my questions are that last time we were out we saw a 30-somethin' Hunter with a huge colorful spinnaker flying high and wide, and my admiral thought it was pretty cool.

We are well aware of the differance between the 30+ Hunter and what's under us, but I am trying to see what is the most we can get away with, and still be safe.

If the Admirals happy, the Captain gets to sail more often
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only issue I can see with an Asym... is the loads it can put on the forestay. I don't know what the rig on the MacGregor is like. Does it have a backstay. If not...then that might be a problem. You should probably call MacGregor and ask them for some advice on it...

Putting up an asym, only to have it pull the stick down is not such a good thing... and makes you look kind of foolish...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I believe with available info from Mc Gregor, I would use it so as not to push the envelope. Why reinvent the wheel when McGregor has done the work.
pigslo
Old 01-15-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
If their website is represntative of the company, they may recommend something involving Duct tape and bailin' wire.
Old 01-16-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I used to own a Mac26X and loved it till my family need something bigger and more stiff. That said, I used to fly a Symmetrical spin (from a Maxi77) like a big genny/assym. I don't like spin pole 'cos there isn't much room at the sloping foredeck of Mac26X to work on. Sailing is supposed to be enjoyable not work, so I don't fancy installing additional spin pole gears (up/down haul, pole ring...) as well.
In anycase, the oversize spin works just fine (big blind spot to the leeward side actually). So what if she doesn't sail downwind well, so long as you're having fun, that is good enough. Just be prepare to spill wind when you have to. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2007

theWindchime is on a distinguished road
Thanks all,

We already have symmetrical 25'X18' that we have never flown becuase of no pole or rigging, but it sounds like trantor12020 flew it anyway like a jenny and it worked fine.

I think we will try the same. We'll pick a calm day and lash one of the clews 12" or so off the pulpit, open the turtle bag, and hoist it out and see what happens. (and be prepared to release the sheet if all hell brakes loose). If it works well enough, we'll invest in an ATN-Tacker as sailingdog suggested and rig a line from the bow to the cockpit to adjust the tack and start looking for a true shaped Asym.

Thanks again folks, your time and typing is much appreciated. The Admiral will be very pleased this spring to have color is our sails! I value all of your help an opinions, everything with a grain of salt right, or is that salty
Old 01-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by theWindchime
Thanks all,

We already have symmetrical 25'X18' that we have never flown because of no pole or rigging, but it sounds like trantor12020 flew it anyway like a jenny and it worked fine.

I think we will try the same. We'll pick a calm day and lash one of the clews 12" or so off the pulpit, open the turtle bag, and hoist it out and see what happens. (and be prepared to release the sheet if all hell brakes loose). If it works well enough, we'll invest in an ATN-Tacker as sailingdog suggested and rig a line from the bow to the cockpit to adjust the tack and start looking for a true shaped Asym.

Thanks again folks, your time and typing is much appreciated. The Admiral will be very pleased this spring to have color is our sails! I value all of your help an opinions, everything with a grain of salt right, or is that salty

OK, Windchime, I hope I can help you. I spoke with my friend, who's a sail maker, and here are your answers.

The Mac's Assimetric Spinnaker is called a cruising chute here, with an area of 32sq. meters, (which is 344,44 sq feet).

He (knows the boat) and you can have one all the way up to 40sq meters, 430sq feet, but the 344 seem s OK.

As far as symetric Spinnaker goes, the measurements should be:

Luff M/ Leech- 7,73mts (23')
Foot- 5,40mts (16,4')
Area 36m2 (344,4')

Now I figure the spinnaker pole should be (including the terminal pieces at mast and sail end) arpound 3,1 meters long (9.9').

Its diameter should be around 80mm, (3.2') but depends on what you have already made in the US (mine are normally made as per my specs.

Hope this is what you wanted!!
Old 01-16-2007

jones2r is on a distinguished road
"I have not given up hope that someone will post a serious reply to my serious question, because I know we all share the same love for life, the outdoors and being on the water and enjoying friends and family."

CONGRATULATIONS!! You really broke through! Reminds me of an old girl friend's motto: "Ya gotta kiss a lotta frogs...." I believe she'd only been married once when I knew her (at least, that was her story).

Very generous of you both, SD and Giu.

Last edited by jones2r; 01-16-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jones2r-

Who ya calling a frog??? Hey, it's bad enough that he's on a MacGregor... but I have to give him credit...he wants to sail it rather than use the iron genny.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Remeber, it serves a purpose.

Any sailboat is better than no boat.