Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-15-2007

theWindchime is on a distinguished road
Spinnaker for Macgregor 26X

We read lots of great advice from everyone on this sailnet site, so we are turning to you all to help us determine what spinnaker equipment we should or should not use on our light rigged 2000 Macgregor 26X.

The LOA is 26' and she has a 28' mast that is fractionally rigged 4' from the top. Other rig specs are: I=24.8, J=10.1, P=24.8, E=10.4.

Asymmetrical:
- MacGregor sells their factory Asymmetrical Cruising Spinnaker with a 27' Luff, 24.5' Leach, and a 17.5' Foot. Is this the best size to use?

Symmetrical:
-What is the best size of Symmetrical Spinnaker to use?
-What is the correct length and diameter of Spinnaker Pole?

Thanks for any help, and we welcome all your good advice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2007

Yes, yes, I know ...

The salty's will advise; "if we want to fly a spinnaker, then buy a real sailboat not a Macgregor" etc. etc. etc. If this is what you meant

We currently accept the trade-offs that our Mac gives us in the way of; sail & motor performance versatility, cabin space, and docking in our driveway.

We just want to have the option to use a cruising spinnaker for our local light winds and fly kite now and again, but do it safe!

Thanks, bring it on
Old 01-15-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If you wait around long enough, denr is sure to chime in with his sage advice regarding Macgregors.
Old 01-15-2007
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
any piece of cloth larger than a pillow case might overpower this "shower stall with a keel" in 10 knots of wind but then again sending it to it's briny death wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, the fish love them as habitats. Do me a favor and let the Coast Guard know of your foolhardy adventure so that they can save your south end. Butt seriously, why waste the time, money and effort? Have a nice day.
Old 01-15-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Denr is being kind. Back on the meds, are we????

To answer the question, for those pesky light air days in your Mac, why not invest in a bigger outboard?

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-15-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I thought thats why people bought those "m" things. So when the wind is light you can start the engine and water ski!
Old 01-15-2007

Yup, you were right jones2r.

I should have known better than to ask for serious advice from this crew, although I thought the way I worded my original post would have got through to some of the old thick skinned salt dogs and made them put aside make and model and just talk "wind and water".

I have not given up hope that someone will post a serious reply to my serious question, because I know we all share the same love for life, the outdoors and being on the water and enjoying friends and family.

Please continue as I am still appreciative of all thoughts!
By-the-by we have a Suzuki 50hp.
Old 01-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't see why you couldn't use an Asym and an ATN Tacker on your boat. There's not bow sprit, so you need to have something like the ATN Tacker...and I doubt that you want to use a pole and traditional Symetrical spinnaker on a Mac...they're a lot more work, and i don't believe the mast has the gear for mounting or working a spinnaker pole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2007

Thanks SailingDog,

I appreciate your comments, and all the other posts you make on other threads. I've read most of them and you know whats-up, and don't mind to share and care!

Yes, I was thinking an Asym with the ATN would be as much as I dare.

The Sym with pole would probably be more trouble than it's worth as I would need to add a mast ring or 3/4" t-track, and install and additional halyard for the topping-lift plus rig a fore-guy. And, I'm not sure if the 3.5" mast on this showerstall would take the pull of a full kite, but that is why I am asking you all

Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, you'd have to add a topping lift and a downhaul for the pole. UGH... and modifying the mast adds to the cost too. Besides flying a full Sym spinnaker can lead to some really ugly things... broaches, capsizes, etc... and flying an asym is much simpler and safer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.