Foul Weather Gear for Small Dudes - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Re: Foul Weather Gear for Small Dudes

Amazon is selling the Gill Men's Coast Jacket in X-Small for $169.24. I think I might give that a try before I head down the Women's road.

T.Bird

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I have an Henri LLoyd jacket that despite being a Large is more slim fitting than any other jacket I've owned, even though it still has good length to the torso and arms. Apparently British clothing manufacturers don't have us uh..."healthier" Americans in mind in their designs. It may be just what you're looking for.

Their "coastal" stuff tends to be under $200 with the "ocean" stuff generally being $200 and up. Good deals for it can also be found on Amazon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I got my foul weather gear from Campmor. They sell brand name gear like Columbia North Face and Patagonia and others. They tend to have a lot of last year's closeouts discounted significantly.

Their clothes are designed for backpackers and alpinehikers and meet the same kind of requirements as sailor's.
We got a rain jacket for my wife that fit her very well and her womanly hourglass figure is,.... well,.. not as hourglass anymore. She also gets chilly easier than I do and War more layers underneath hers.

The Columbia jacket and rain pants I got served me very well sailing in the June rains around Howe Sound in British Columbia. The jacket has all the features: cord lock elastic cords to adjust the waist and hood; velcro adjustments on the wrists; sleeves long enough to go down to your gloves; lots of breathing panels; waterproof plackets over all zippers; and an adjustable bill on the hood.

The pants had pockets and velcro closures on the legs, and leg openings that were wide enough to pull on and off over my deck shoes.

I'm not associated with Campmor or Columbia, I'm just a satisfied customer.

post #14 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Try looking at motorcycle gear. A lot of wet weather riding gear should work just as well for sailing.
post #15 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I bought my last foulie jacket in 1978 in France and it's still as good as the day I bought it, except for the elastic wrist cuffs. I can't even remember how many Caribbean/US trips, TransAts and other trips I've done in it. Pay the big bucks now, for good gear will be even more expensive when you need to replace the cheap stuff in a few years.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #16 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Bird View Post

I think my next step will be following the advice of those recommending Women's sizing. I've had to go that route before with various things. The trouble is that sometime the female proportions of some of those garments fit a little awkwardly on my
I wear Women's clothing!!!

When my ex bailed off my boat I had cause to slip into her trousers... mine were wet. By jingo, by crikey they were good! Instead of moving around in a huge plastic bag I was suddenly able to spring around athletically.
So I whacked on her jacket which was a trifle small but it still fit better than mine. Again, I could wield a winch handle better, grab a rope, get around the deck better.

Clothing manufacturers know they must make a good fit for women but don't give a fig about men. Why else were men forced to wear baggy shorts for a decade that should only be seen on urban youth smoking dope?

I really commend you to get into West Marine and try chicks jackets. It won't turn you gay.
And who is going to know you're wearing a jacket designed for a female? OK, OK don't buy the pink one

Better fit = better safety, better sailing ability, better comfort.

Mark
capta and T.Bird like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:38 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I really commend you to get into West Marine and try chicks jackets. It won't turn you gay.
That whole post is fantastic! I'm dying! Thanks for the laugh, Mark, and thanks for giving me the courage to embrace my inner hourglass figure.

Tom

Edit: I still think I'm going to try that XS Gill jacket first though...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
post #18 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I wear Women's clothing!!! Mark
Does anyone have sailing directions to Fire Island handy?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #19 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Does anyone have sailing directions to Fire Island handy?
I went to Fire Island when I sailed to the USA 2 years ago.

Amazing place. We weren't staying in the gay end but in a little village where everything was miniature. No vehicles allowed and all roads are just boardwalks. The only vehicles were a very few golfcarts, normally officials. The Fire Brigade was a golf cart! Sensationally funny.

I took the ferry up to the gay part and walked all the way back down the beach. Totally segregated from the rest of the island... that was a bit weird in these more accepting times to still have it fenced off

As a tourist/historical perspective it was interesting as my perception, being from Australia, was the whole island was a gay resort. So it was great to get the reality of it all.
I commend anyone looking for a trip for a few days to go do Fire Island (both parts!)

Photo below is the Truck Stop. Because you can't have a vehicle, at all the ferry wharfes they have Tonka Toy type kids trolleys. Very bloody funny!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #20 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock
Friggin attachment dialogue?
Attached Thumbnails
P_20150721_132320_1490287684033.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.