Foul Weather Gear for Small Dudes - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-16-2017 Thread Starter

Foul Weather Gear for Small Dudes

Last season I thought it was finally time to get serious a get myself some real foul weather gear. I found a good deal on West Marine’s Third Reef Jacket, but found that--even though I was well within what their sizing chart called a small--it was much too big and boxy for me. I returned it. As a rather small guy (5’5’’ - 135lbs) I am no stranger to this issue. I should have known better! Size small clothing items (even when the provided sizing charts indicate that they should work) rarely fit me well.

Anyway, I’d really like to get my hands on a jacket for this season. My question, of course, is are there any known manufacturers of foul weather gear that make things in a trimmer cut? Unfortunately, there are no dealers of such things close by me where I could actually try stuff on.

Also… do I even have a prayer of being able to find such an item for around the $150 mark like the Third Reef Jacket?

Thanks,
T.Bird

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-16-2017

Re: Foul Weather Gear for Small Dudes

Have you tried their women's sizes? They are usually much better fitting and span more sizes.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 21 Old 03-16-2017

$150 for a good jacket probably isn't realistic. It's possible if you find a clearance sale or something, but it's going to take a lot of time to find one that cheap. And no the West Marine one is not what I would consider a high quality piece of gear.

Take a look at the Zhik Kamina (sp) at about $200. For your height you would probably need the XS.

Greg

post #4 of 21 Old 03-16-2017

Keep in mind that you almost never wear the jacket by itself, even in the tropics.
Size it for a layer or two underneath, sometimes more if you are around the Great Lakes.
To me this is the reason for the extra bulk.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-16-2017
░░░░░░░░░░

Tbird, there are all sorts of Gore-Tex Extreme Wet Weather guaranteed gear that work for sailing. Genuine Gore-Tex with a guarantee is also guaranteed for life, if it leaks Gore will replace it if the manufacturer doesn't. And Gore comments that a lot of the cheap "Gore-Tex" sold on ebay and shipped from China, is simply counterfeit junk. If you're not spending a month in mid-ocean, it might be very much worth looking at.

But you're lucky to be a small, when there is a clearance sale (usually in fall, not spring) and a model change, there are usually smalls and xxLs available, nothing else.

I'd also suggest looking at women's sizing. At least one company from New Zealand used to put all their zippers in "women's style" so depending on brand, you might or might not een notice the zipper is on the wrong side by US standards.

With any of it, you'll need to try it on, the fit of the hood and collar is a very personal thing.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-16-2017

I typically find Helly Hansen to run narrow or small for the size. This may be the result of what is expected to be worn beneath, or not.

I have precisely the opposite angle. I need to buy my foul weather gear from the NFL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-16-2017

I have a quality Grunden jacket for warmish weather rain....ran maybe $150 from fisheries supply.
Also an offshore Gill for more nasty stuff that I found on Amazon at 1/2 price....a UK dealer was dropping that line.
You could also check ebay for resellers of closeouts.

Having good quality gear will keep you from truly hating life when things aren't so nice out there.
I used to ride bikes in rain, sometimes for hours on end, and after it's all said and done...you spend the bucks and get good stuff.
Torture, even in short doses, is still torture...
post #8 of 21 Old 03-16-2017

I'll 2nd the womens suggestion.
Some may offer something like youth sizes.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-17-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
And no the West Marine one is not what I would consider a high quality piece of gear.
Yeah... I guess my standard of quality is pretty low. I'm just looking for something nicer then the old worn out raincoats I have been wearing, and hopefully something with a few sailing-ish features (nice cuffs to keep some water out, tall collar, visibility, etc.)

I think my next step will be following the advice of those recommending Women's sizing. I've had to go that route before with various things. The trouble is that sometime the female proportions of some of those garments fit a little awkwardly on my small yet still generally man shaped frame! Worth a try.

Thanks for chiming in everyone!
T.Bird

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-17-2017

I find cheap"gore-tex" clothing to be false economy, never had any of it last more than a couple years before it starts leaking. Had the membrane separate from the fabric, taped seams come undone. The DWR of the fabric starts wearing off very quickly and you have to respray it and the new stuff isn't near as good as the old sprays.
Bite the bullet and buy decent stuff and you'll be comfortabe for years to come vs buying over and over again when you get fed up of being wet.
If you do want to go cheap skip the breathable fabric and buy a non breathable coat for the same price.
One other thing, breathable fabrics ONLY work if the humidity inside the coat is higher than outside. One thing the manufacturers never seem to tell you. They also only pass water vapour, if you're sweating more than the fabric can handle you will still end up soaking wet.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.