SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lighthouse 1501 Electric/Manual Windlass?

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  yzlian 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a Lighthouse 1501 Windlass?

I understand that it has a 'two-speed manual function' and was wondering how well it worked. And how robust it seems to be.

I'm looking to replace my worn out Sea Tiger 555. But no one seems to make a dedicated manual windlass powerful enough for my needs. (55 pd Rocna with G4)

If it works well. I'm thinking there might be a small chance of acquiring one without the motor. Or buying one and then selling the motor.

Or, maybe there's another electric/manual option out there?

#2 ·
I've heard very good things about the Lighthouse windlasses, but I understand they're a bit on the pricey side.

#3 ·
I have a Lighthouse windlass. It's a brute. It does have a 2 speed manual function. One is on top and has, I think a 60:1 ratio which would be slow but powerfull (ment for kledging). The other in at the end of each capstan/gypsy, don't know it's ratio. A winch handle will fit but you nee a ratching handle for the gypsy--they sell one at a very good price.

I installed my unit with the optional power down function. I don't think I would opt for that again. The power down is too slow to deploy the anchor from the cockpit,it is ok to let it out once its down. It's best to go forward loosen the clutch and let the anchor and chain go at a med speed. You can also have it setup anyway you want. Mine is setup with one chain gypsy and one capstain but the can make it anyway you want.

It is expensive. I saved a bunch of $ by having a dealer order then I picked it up from the factory saving shipping costs.

One good thing is the company will totally rebuild the unit to as new condition for 25% of cost of a new one. While at the factory I saw a 20 year old unit that was used on a commerical boat in for rebuild.
FWY I have no intrest in the company, just a happy customer.
Mike

#6 ·
Loewe said:
Just rebuilt mine and she should be good for another 34 years. :) They really aren't that hard to work on.

Regards, Red
I probably will end up rebuilding it.

Keep in mind that the 555 has been discontinued, and we might not being able to get parts in the future.

Also, it would be nice to have a manual windlass with a bit more lifting power. A 'beefier' version of thr same, now that I've moved up to a heavier anchor.

#8 ·
Phyllis, I worked with John McMaster who was with Simpson Lawrence for some time. He has the parts and the experience for the Sea Tiger as no other. I installed a retrofit kit (keeps the ratchet from eating the springs) new bushings, seals and clutch cone. About $300 USD. I sandblasted the case, etched then two coats of white epoxy. Looks like new. Inside cleaned and polished all the gears and shafts loaded up with extreme pressure synthetic grease and we are good for another 35 years. How well does it work? My ten-year-old son pulled up 60' of 3/8BB and a 45# CQR at St. Michaels in October without stopping. Check w John at J.McMaster@ntlworld.com and tell him Richard/Red sent you. He's a great Scot! :)
Regards,
Red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.