• 1 Post By svHyLyte
  • 1 Post By MarkofSeaLife
  • 1 Post By kd3pc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-2017 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Electronic Issues

I'm having a number of problems with my wind instrument (problems at both the top of the mast and the display) as well as with the speed display on my pedestal. My boat is about 12 years old with instruments that are somewhat outdated. How difficult would it be to outfit my boat with new electronics rather than spend a significant amount of money fixing outdated systems? It is a 32' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey and with a boat show coming I'm considering refitting with the newest technology. What do you think?

Do or do not... There is no try.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2017
Old as Dirt!

Re: Electronic Issues

Fau--

We just went through the same exercise with 14+ year old Standard Horizon instruments. The windspeed/direction transducer was failing and the displays suffering from "Black Screen Death" despite have been covered with a UV protectent covers save when in use. As Standard Horizon no longer makes instruments or services its "legacy" equipment we had to find a replacement.

My original intention was to use Furuno equipment because of the Company's reputation for servicing its equipment over the "long haul". After weighing the pros and cons of longevity vs. cost vs. repair and getting the opinions of our electronics technician we ended up going with B&G Triton instruments. A T-41 package of: two multi-function displays, wind speed/direction transducer, depth sounder/ knot meter-log-water temperature transducer; and, GPS-Compass receiver cost us about $1,500 through Defender. Because the depth sounder/speedo transducer housing thru-hull had to be changed, I scheduled the instrument work to coincide with our tri-annual haulout for bottom paint so there would not be a separate haul-out needed with its associated cost. My original plan was to do the wiring myself but as soon as my (much) better half got wind of the need to be going to the masthead, that put paid to the self-install plan. In the end I paid our technicians about $1,800 for the work of the installation which involved correcting quite a bit of wiring done by a prior "electrician" as well as fabrication of a replacement facing for our Nav-Pod instrument housing, which is no longer made so replacement parts aren't available, as the B&G instruments are quite different from the old Std. Horizon and there are only two vs. three.

The exercise was not inexpensive, unfortunately, but the difference between the earlier instruments and the B&G's is quite remarkable. And, the system is easily "expandable" when we decide to up-grade our chart-plotters--likely before our next trip to the Bahamas. All up, about $$3,300 (although we did get a $200 discount price from Defender).

FWIW...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2017

Dock

Why didn't wireless instruments become the norm?
I though Tac Tic price would come down and everyone else would jump on board. No wires, no connections, no big installation costs, run it on multiple screens incl smart phones

Woe is da boater.
fallard likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Why didn't wireless instruments become the norm?
I though Tac Tic price would come down and everyone else would jump on board. No wires, no connections, no big installation costs, run it on multiple screens incl smart phones

Woe is da boater.
in the case of TacTic, reliability and longevity bit them badly very early on, add a few bad reviews of new, out of the box failures that they would never address, batteries impossible to change, screens that failed prematurely, and a few realizations that the marine environment is almost as bad as mother nature herself.

Vaporware.

And you get the market we have.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2017

I think the all newest thought is a good one . My buddy has the wireless Tic Tak , he had it installed the installer didn't get it straight on the mast so we re calibrated it to compensate never could get it perfect but it's pretty close .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2017
4KSB driver.

Garmin has taken over the nexus line, and mast head wireless transducers are less expensive in their product line than the former tacktic that is now Raymarine... but be aware that only the transducer is wireless, the instruments are not.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.