Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-16-2007

icwhtwtr is on a distinguished road
Grampian 26 cracked centerboard

Hi I am looking at buying a Grampian 26, centerboard model. looking up into the box from the bottom the board seems to be cracked. I am fairly mecanical and was wondering if anyone out there has ever taken one out and rebuilt it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tks Rob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While I'm not familiar with the centerboard on a Grampian26, I know that removing a centerboard can be a RPITA, as getting the centerboard pin in or out can be a nightmare. Leading the lines that control the up and down movement of the centerboard can add more complication as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2007

I know iit' a real headache hope some out there has an easy solution
Tks Rob
Old 01-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by icwhtwtr
I know iit' a real headache hope some out there has an easy solution
Tks Rob
Get a different boat...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-16-2007

But it is cheep+++ hull and deck in good shape with other issues that I can deal with and Mom and Dad had one when I was a kid!
Old 01-16-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
But it is cheep+++ hull and deck in good shape with other issues that I can deal with and Mom and Dad had one when I was a kid!
LOL... is that how Mom and Dad met? I'd contact the Grampian owner's association and ask them about how difficult a repair job this is. If the replies are encouraging...then go for it. Don't forget to get the boat surveyed... as there may be other things wrong that make it less of a bargain.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-16-2007
Telstar 28

Is the board cracked or delaminating??? There's a huge difference.... One is often due to old age, the other is often due to impact damage, and that can have damaged other things in the centerboard trunk.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-16-2007

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi I am looking at buying a Grampian 26, centerboard model. looking up into the box from the bottom the board seems to be cracked.
I'd suggest looking at the Grampian Marina website at http://www.grampianowners.com/ It used to be the Sailnet Grampian mailing list was very active, but when Sailnet shut down, people went to four different forums, and discussion got spread out among them. The Grampian links page on that site points to the different forums.

I don't know about the 26, but at least on their bigger boats the centerboard started as a piece of mild steel plate with filler and fiberglass around it to form the streamlined shape. If water gets in to the steel plate, it will rust, expand and crack the fiberglass covering. In cold climates, water freezing inside causes the fiberglass to crack. You see this a lot in rudders, too.

Repairing a cracked centerboard shouldn't be too terrible a job. Look for information on repairing cracked rudders -- it's the same type of job. Even if you have to build a new one, a welder can cut you a new steel plate, then you apply Bondo to build up the shape and fiberglass over it.

The Grampian mailing list (http://list.sailnet.net/read/?forum=grampian) has been silent for a while. This might be a good question to ask to get some activity going again.

Of course I'm biased, but I'll recommend the G26 as a great economical cruiser. Grampians weren't fancy boats, but they were certainly solidly built. At my marina there's a G26 still sailed by the original owners -- and that's at least 30 years now.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 01-16-2007
Telstar 28

Grampians are solid coastal cruisers, and there was a nice article on them in GOB not too long ago IIRC. If the centerboard has delaminated due to rust, then the repair will be a pain, but the rest of the centerboard trunk, and pivot gear should be in pretty good shape.

BTW, don't use Bondo... use a good epoxy, like system 3 or west systems, and a high-density silica filler. it will give you more strength and resist water intrusion far better than the "bondo" will.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-16-2007
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp34
I'd suggest looking at the Grampian Marina website at http://www.grampianowners.com/
Seconded - A lot of Grampian specific info can be had for the asking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp34
Of course I'm biased, but I'll recommend the G26 as a great economical cruiser. Good luck,
Me! Say Not!

Believe it or not, But I trailer mine (yes a fixed keel)

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------