What was god thinking? - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

What was god thinking?

When he made the V-Berth... seems to good for everything except sleeping... tried it few times but my butt slides in between the cushions each time... tried sleeping cross-wise... same result... I HATE IT AND NOW IT IS USED FOR STORAGE..

John Johnson
Allmand 31
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: What was god thinking?

I slept in a V-birth for 18 years and had no problem. Anyone can cobble together a pair of V-birth cushions, but a proper upholstery shop will make you something you can sleep comfortably on.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I believe the V berth was created by maritime architects, not God.....
serah, Oaksail, capta and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Try diagonal (feet towards the bow, head towards port or starboard aft)? If you sleep along the hull, the cushion should be just one piece. We put the baby on the uncomfortable part in the middle, some times if there is thunder or lightning the dog jumps up too. I always sleep better on a boat than ashore. Maybe you just didn't have enough wine before bed

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8
post #5 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Isn't "God" supposed to be capitalized??? 🤓

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowiscertain View Post
Isn't "God" supposed to be capitalized??? 🤓

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
It's spelled Bob Perry
olson34 and nowiscertain like this.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
nowiscertain (4 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The tradition of the working portion of the crew sleeping in the pointy end whilst owners/masters sleep in the fat end predates even Mr. Perry by centuries so he can't be blamed for it's invention.

"Just call me TB"
post #8 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianj08 View Post
When he made the V-Berth... seems to good for everything except sleeping... tried it few times but my butt slides in between the cushions each time... tried sleeping cross-wise... same result... I HATE IT AND NOW IT IS USED FOR STORAGE..

John Johnson
Allmand 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I slept in a V-birth for 18 years and had no problem. Anyone can cobble together a pair of V-birth cushions, but a proper upholstery shop will make you something you can sleep comfortably on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
I believe the V berth was created by maritime architects, not God.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Try diagonal (feet towards the bow, head towards port or starboard aft)? If you sleep along the hull, the cushion should be just one piece. We put the baby on the uncomfortable part in the middle, some times if there is thunder or lightning the dog jumps up too. I always sleep better on a boat than ashore. Maybe you just didn't have enough wine before bed
Y'all just need to try a different boat. The V-Berth on an Oyster 745 isn't a bad experience.
post #9 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The closer to the center of gravity of the boat the less you are bounced around by ship's movement... the bow gets the most movement in most boats due to center of gravity tending to be behind 50% of ship's length.

So the most comfortable location for berths will be anywhere but the bow. Use that section for storage. (but not for heavy stuff...)

Any mattress that is divided into sections, you'll end up sliding between the sections and having the mattress on top of you instead of you on top of it.
You can mitigate this one with some secure means of securing the mattress sections together, such as zippers or velcro.

This is just the way things work. I would never consider a V-berth in the bow to be a positive selling point, especially if that's the main berthing.

If you look at the old sailing ships... the captain's cabin is aft... because the bow was the least desirable berthing possible.
If you look at modern naval vessels they avoid putting berthing in the front 1/4 of the ship.

Last edited by Turnin Turtle; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:07 AM.
post #10 of 39 Old 4 Weeks Ago

A two inch memory foam mattress topper cut to fit the V-birth, and laid on top of the existing cushions solved my similar split cushion dilemma.
kwaltersmi likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.