SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mystery alternator

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
This alternator has been on the engine running the tach only, for as long as I've owned the boat.
Now it's off and I would like to know the manufacturer and hopefully, though doubtfully from these pics, it's size.
Anybody recognize this alternator?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't help but I just went through weeks trying to identify a failed alternator, no I.D. on it whatsoever. What are these people thinking ?

Sometimes the alternators are identified in the electrical section of the engine manual or parts manual.

#6 ·
So, given that this alternator is indeed a Leece-Neville 2500/2800 or knockoff, it is also a self exciting alt. It has been on the engine for all these years unconnected except for the tach. What are the chances that it is OK or are we looking at a new regulator and diodes because it wasn't hooked up?

#10 · (Edited)
Great. Would you pass on the address and phone number please? I'll just have our pilot get the Lear Jet ready and order a limo to meet us at the closest airport to that shop.
There may be a shop in Antigua or St Martin that can test a big alt like this, but I doubt that there are any down this far. I'll check when in Grenada next.

#11 ·
capta, since you have another operating alternator and this one must have had a belt on it to run the tach, I would think you could test it aboard. If she's making 14+ volts, I would think she's fine. Then you need to figure how you'll combine/regulate/switch between the other one.

#13 ·
Capta-
There are two triangles at a slight angle to each other stamped into the case (in your third picture) and I would guess that is someone's trademark logo. Possibly one of the EU makes that are alien to the "more western" world, but someone in the business might recognize the marks.
I'd be very cautious about hooking up an unknown alternator to the ship's electrical system, since a fault could damage things. It needs power to excite the alternator, power to take the output, and then it might be wired for a 1-wire or a 3-wire system. If you can find all of those, you might be "safe" hooking it up to just one expendable battery, like a 12Ah or 17Ah "jump box". Or one isolated old Group24 that is no longer loved.(G)
Overall, waiting for a bench test might be the simplest thing to do. A really sharp alternator shop might charge for that--but recognize the logo. If you ever come near an auto chain, those are the places that usually bench test for free.
But since it was totally disconnected...I'd suspect there was a reason for that, and treat it like a stray dog that has not been checked for rabies yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.