SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

non skid deck paint

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  txmatt 
#1 ·
This coming spring i need to repaint the non skid decks, I need advice as to best paint to use ( ease of application, nice finish, good non skid properties)?

Thanks Fred

#3 ·
I repainted non-skid on my deck over the summer. I used the Intedeck (sp) from interlux.It seems to have very good non-skip properties, was easy to apply, and looks great. We did a rough sand w 60 grit paper by hand over existing moulded non-skid, taped it off, primed and painted. The only issue I have noticed is the "sand" in the paint seems to rub off a little with wear and tear. I can see a very fine glitter like appearance on dark cloths after sitting/scooting around on deck. With the ease of use I'm not too worried about it.

#6 ·
I used right out of the can. I taped and painted the sections in two phases. 1) forward of shrouds 2) aft of shrouds. It just worked out that way because of time. I tried to keep walking on it to a min., but you almost have to a little bit.

#7 ·
I had it easy on my boat since she is only 23'. I just started on the stb quarter and worked my way forward, working from the cockpit and atop the cabin. Once I got to the foredeck, I started at the bow and worked back wiping my foot prints with mineral spirits as I went back. I still had a wet edge on the stb side and then worked around the port side in the same manner. Don't know how well this would work on a larger boat.

#8 ·
I'm doing mine now, I'm using interlux Brightside with Non-skid additive, but I'm doing the entire deck, I did the entire foredeck ( encluding the non skid areas ) with two coats Brightside ( no additive ), let it sit for a week, then went back and taped off the deck and two coated the Non skid areas with the same color plus non skid additive, this weekend I will do one last coat of N/S and remount the hdwr....looks like a mllion bucks so far

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.