Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-17-2007

freddy4888 is on a distinguished road
non skid deck paint

This coming spring i need to repaint the non skid decks, I need advice as to best paint to use ( ease of application, nice finish, good non skid properties)?

Thanks Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2007

txmatt is on a distinguished road
I just finished painting my deck using the Interlux non skid additive and their one part polyurethane topside paint. It looks good with two coats, was very easy to apply, just rolled on. We'll see how it holds up.
Old 01-17-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I repainted non-skid on my deck over the summer. I used the Intedeck (sp) from interlux.It seems to have very good non-skip properties, was easy to apply, and looks great. We did a rough sand w 60 grit paper by hand over existing moulded non-skid, taped it off, primed and painted. The only issue I have noticed is the "sand" in the paint seems to rub off a little with wear and tear. I can see a very fine glitter like appearance on dark cloths after sitting/scooting around on deck. With the ease of use I'm not too worried about it.
Old 01-17-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
We are getting ready to do the same thing on our boat my Question is how do you apply the second coat if you can't walk on it? And do you have to thin the Interdeck or is it ready to apply right out of the can?

Last edited by 1970Columbia34; 01-17-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2007

makingthyme is on a distinguished road
Nonskid

I did mine last year with Interlux interdeck. My nonskid is in a bunch of sections instead of one big one. I did 2 sections at a time so I could maneuver around the cockpit without touching the wet paint. I rolled it right out of the can. After one summer, it still looks great.
Old 01-17-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I used right out of the can. I taped and painted the sections in two phases. 1) forward of shrouds 2) aft of shrouds. It just worked out that way because of time. I tried to keep walking on it to a min., but you almost have to a little bit.
Old 01-17-2007

txmatt is on a distinguished road
I had it easy on my boat since she is only 23'. I just started on the stb quarter and worked my way forward, working from the cockpit and atop the cabin. Once I got to the foredeck, I started at the bow and worked back wiping my foot prints with mineral spirits as I went back. I still had a wet edge on the stb side and then worked around the port side in the same manner. Don't know how well this would work on a larger boat.
Old 01-17-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I'm doing mine now, I'm using interlux Brightside with Non-skid additive, but I'm doing the entire deck, I did the entire foredeck ( encluding the non skid areas ) with two coats Brightside ( no additive ), let it sit for a week, then went back and taped off the deck and two coated the Non skid areas with the same color plus non skid additive, this weekend I will do one last coat of N/S and remount the hdwr....looks like a mllion bucks so far
Old 01-17-2007

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Thanks for all the information, I read on the can that you can put the second coat on in 20 hrs but walking dryness is 4 days. Does this mean i have to only do one half of the boat at a time. since i have to wait 4 days to be back oon it. thanks.
Old 01-18-2007

One more question what kind of roller did you use to roll the paint on with?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.