SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fram filters vs Yanmar filters....Interesting...

8K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Sanduskysailor 
#1 ·
Hello All, I have 2 cars with over 230,000 miles, on each. I have a Tahoe with 295,000 miles on it. All Chevys. I've have always used Fram filters and Syntech, synthetic oil from Wally's. Do it myself. I have read all the bad reviews for Fram filters, on the net, for years. I have also read about how Yanmar filters are so expensive, boaters always looking for something cheaper. My 3gm30f came with a Fram filter on it and I had 2 spares and used those. The other day, I looked up Yanmar filters and they weren't expensive so, I stopped by the local Yanmar dealer and pick up a couple. I paid 6.70 cents, apeice, I think it was. No sweat. The revelation came when I held one of each in my hands. The Yanmar filter was much heavier, 3.5 ounces heavier, to be exact. The Fram filter was 5.2 oz and the Yanmar was 8.7. (took 'em home and weighed them, I did.) Wow! I should have some cleaner oil now, I'm thinking. I thought this might be interesting to someone. I sure thought it was. Good Sailing, Kevin

#2 ·
I would not mind getting one for 6.70 . I think I pay 12.00 ea. And that reminds me I need to do a change . We have a 2 QM 15 , last year I got a filter from West , it was for a Yanmar but not a 2QM it bottomed out before I felt it was tight enough . Replaced with a factory filter never gonna do that again . I'm not sure if all Yanmar filters have a pop off valve but some do , that might be where the extra $s' come from .

#3 ·
With all due respect, I am no fan of Fram. On my terrestrial transportation (an assortment of Saab turbos) I use Purolator PureOne filters (upsized) and Mobil 1 synthetic.

On my 40 yr old Yanmar 2Qm20 I use Yanmar filters and Rotella conventional. I would use Purolator or Wix if need be, but its easy enough to get the OEM

#4 ·
Yanmar doesnt make oil filters. Those are made by various 'filter foundries' who private label their product for Yanmar. The added expense is due to the Yanmar low volume distribution system.
Fram make a decent oil filter, although the anti-drain-back valve (actually a 'flap') can stick in the open position .... but not a big deal.
Most all automotive filters are made with a single source world supply of the resinated technical paper used for the filter media .... so you can use any known 'brand' and have equivalent filtration performance.

My preference (as someone who was long term involved in 'filtration engineering', etc.) - A very good automotive (and aftermarket) filter foundry for high quality in the US is Wix Filters. They private label for many of the automotive OEMs and for many of the branded 'quality' automotive (mechanics) supply houses, such as NAPA, etc.
Just about any 'quality' automotive supply shop can special order the Wix Filters for your Yanmar --- and many other marine diesel engines.

For Wix mod. numbers, start here WIX Filters - Products Catalog by Application then go to *OFF ROAD* in the first 'box' then choose your engine manufacturer, then engine model number, etc. I offer this Wix selection process because 'some' Wix part numbers are available from internet sources such as Amazon, etc., and many oil filters used on marine diesel engines are also common to the smaller diesel tractor engines and diesel engines used for emergency standby pumps.

#11 ·
Yanmar doesnt make oil filters. Those are made by various 'filter foundries' who private label their product for Yanmar. The added expense is due to the Yanmar low volume distribution system. ........

My preference (as someone who was long term involved in 'filtration engineering', etc.) - A very good automotive (and aftermarket) filter foundry for high quality in the US is Wix Filters. They private label for many of the automotive OEMs and for many of the branded 'quality' automotive (mechanics) supply houses, such as NAPA, etc.
Just about any 'quality' automotive supply shop can special order the Wix Filters for your Yanmar --- and many other marine diesel engines.
WIX and it's parent, Affinia, were acquired by a German firm MANN and Hummel almost a year or so ago. They were to continue as a stand alone, and so far MANN is supporting their building a quality filter. They are said to have over 75% of the filter market around the world.

#5 ·
I prefer the OEM filters, only so that I know I don't have the kind of "bottoming out" problem described above. The weight difference between the OEM and Fram must be the metal can. I'm not sure that matters, it really the quality of the filter material.

Oil and filters are ultimately the cheapest and easiest form of preventative maintenance. Even an extra $5 or $10 is pretty small in the grand scheme of things. That said, if you change your oil and filter much more frequently that required by the OEM, I bet it doesn't much matter what you use.

#7 ·
All very interesting thoughts. Yes, I change oil every 40 hrs. I enjoy doing maintenance on car and boat engines. It is cheap insurance as attested to by my high mileage Chevy's. My 3gm30f is a rebuild by Yanmar, 1996 model. Don't know the particulars as to why it was rebuilt. She is 5 yrs old now, since rebuild, with 500 hrs. I have been using Rotella's15w 40. Yanmar dealer uses Delo. Need to put more hrs on her, not going out enough. Don't forget to go sailing, right? Kevin

#8 ·
I spent some time researching oil filters to use on my touring bike. I have settled on using either Bosch or Mobil 1 filters (I believe they are made by the same manufacturers) due to what I found after cutting them open. I let them drain for a couple weeks and then use a large tubing cutter to remove the can. The size and number of pleats in the filter element vary widely between brands (Fram was among those with the smallest element and least number of pleats) as well as the difference in the internal springs and rubber valving. There was a website that documents the internal construction of filters but I do not have it anymore. There is a big difference and price is not always a good indicator of quality.

#9 ·
With my clean running A4, there is no oil filter - just change the oil every 50 hours. As for Fram, I've been using them since I was 16 years old, which translates to 6 decades of use - NEVER had a problem of any kind with them. And, until the past decade, I changed my oil and filter every 2000 miles on all my vehicles and powerboats. Also used Fram air and fuel filters, again, NEVER had a problem.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

#10 ·
If one changes oil frequently it likely doesn't really matter - esp if, like fridges etc, most are made by the same few manufacturers. Our engine runs pretty high oil pressure so I like to use a filter with a quality casing.

Bigger on my list are filters that are easy to get on and off.. ie a good tab or pattern on the body for grip; my current filter has a slotted fitting on the bottom to insert a screwdriver to get it turning. I remember, too, a 'high end' Fram that had a nonskid coating on the casing for better grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.