SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

stupid question

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  DonScribner 
#1 ·
2 inch cushions or 4 inch cushions?

When i try them out at the store the 2 inch feels fine but how will be do for long term sitting/sleeping.. of course the 4 inch felt more comfortable but I worry about the size... i wonder of it takes up too much room???

Your opinion?

#3 ·
Four inch for sure. I've got two inch in the V-berth that the PO had replaced more recently than the four inch that's on the settees and quarter berth. To make the V-berth usable for anything besides storage, I had to cut an additional two inch mattress topper to fit it.

#6 ·
Actually neither .... quality foam pads for upholstery needs are usually selected based on 'density' --- how hard, how soft and how LONG that foam retains its 'rigidity/softness'. Upholstery quality foam is quite expensive nowadays, so you really dont want to choose an off-the-shelf foam from a 'discounter' ..... and then only have to soon replace it when it quickly 'breaks down'.

Best place to buy foam for 'cushions' is an upholsterers foam supply shop .... where one can actually choose/select between various *densities* ... and using one's backside to test for "comfort", etc. Once the appropriate *foam density* is selected, then the thickness is selected.
Such a 'foam shop' will be able to quickly 'cut to size' (with bandsaw) ... although one will have to pay for the 'whole' from which the sections are cut. Every moderate size 'metropolitan area'/small city should be in close proximity to an upholsterer's foam supply shop.

Choose 'density' first; then, select the 'thickness' of the 'density' that you have chosen.
"Good" foam isn't cheap.

#7 ·
In our main berth we have 4 inch medium density foam topped with a 2 inch memory foam pad.. more comfortable than our bed at home.

Reactions: nowiscertain
#11 ·
Cushions for what: cockpit, salon or bunk?

For a berth, I put soft 4" memory foam toppers over the OEM mattresses, which provide support. Best bed I've ever slept in. The extra 4" compresses heavily, so no worries about overhead height.

For the salon or cockpit, density is an issue, as mentioned above already.

#12 ·
I'm in the middle of doing this so my memory is fresh, as are the needle wounds on my hands.

Use 3 or 4". I bought it online for 1/2 what JoAnn's was selling it for. Look for JoAnn's coupons. Often they will save you 50% which is some serious coin on outside upholstery. Use 33 lb foam. We went with the 44 lb and it's too firm. I'll have to hole it to make it really comfortable. Also, wrap it in batting and plastic membrane. Cut it too big then plug in a shop vac to miniaturize it. Pretty cool how well it works. Go to Sailrite.com for all your needs and instructional videos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.