Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-18-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
While I appreciate being able to step off the boat and wander up to the marina's shower facility I'm much more of an anchor or mooring kind of chap so we have the same quandry.
The instant gas type seems to be the logical way to go but I'll need to check out the insurance situation as previously mentioned. Maybe there are ventilation systems that make it all safe.
While we have, and often use, a solar shower we also have a temporary shower that works a charm. You can make one up for yourself or camping stores have variations on the theme. What we have is a pump that plugs into a 12v outlet with a switch on the line and of course a shower head. Boil a kettle of water (actually only 3/4 will do) , pour it into a bucket, add cold to taste and awaaaaaaaaaay we go. Navy shower of course but the bucket gives you a known quantity of water so you can easily monitor usage and if out of sight of others the whole thing can be used on deck.
Regarding waste water, try and not use your bilges. Even with a strainer removing 'ahem' foreign objects soapy water in the bilges will smell. You need a sump in the head with it's own bilge pump. It's crucial that you dry it out completely after use.
I have found that cruising sailors who have enough solar or wind generation capability don't like heat exchangers. Without the need to run the engine an hour or so a day to charge batteries, running simply to heat water is considered a pain. This purely from random sampling.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
hot water on board

Thanks, this is really, really useful,

On our Attalia, the floor of the head (currently) drains by gravity via series of 'channels' to the bilge (lowest point just above the keel towards the centre of the boat. We do not use the shower as yet. I just read Don Casey's boat plumbing, he also recommends avoiding using the bilge. However, he proposes (If I understood correctly) is to pump into the bowl of the toilet as one option (this would certainly increase the need to pump out more often!). Alternatively, he also suggest a separate pump and discharge via another through-hull (I guess PBzeer this is what you are referring to). I would rather not cut another hole in the hull if I can avoid it.

How do others deal with the discharge? Making a shower pan is not a problem, nor is installing a dedicated pump. Where does it go to? Would a solution be to install a dedicated electrical pump (which drains the shower pan and then pumps it into the same drain as the sink in the head...

-Mark
Old 01-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A better idea may be to run the discharge hose from the shower sump in the the same through-hull as the head sink. Grey water discharge is generally allowed in most places, so there is no need to dispose of it into the head and holding tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
A better idea may be to run the discharge hose from the shower sump in the the same through-hull as the head sink. Grey water discharge is generally allowed in most places, so there is no need to dispose of it into the head and holding tank.

While it would be quite simple to plumb the discharge into the head sink outlet we simply have a hose that we drop into the sink itself when we've finished showering. I'd worry a bit about siphoning back into shower stall when on a (in our case port tack). I'd want to install a Y valve.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 01-18-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
I'd want to install a Y valve.
Which may be stating the bleeding obvious !!

Old 01-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
While it would be quite simple to plumb the discharge into the head sink outlet we simply have a hose that we drop into the sink itself when we've finished showering. I'd worry a bit about siphoning back into shower stall when on a (in our case port tack). I'd want to install a Y valve.
I set it up this way on my friend's boat, and have done the same on mine. It really isn't an issue, even without the Y-valve, but we're both on a trimarans, so heeling on a port tack isn't much of an issue.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2007

georgellop is on a distinguished road
WAYMAR83, ...it is imperative that you drain the gray water into a SEALED sump with its own pump and not into the bilge or any open containment area. If not, you will soon be wondering how can shower water smell as bad as black water.

There are shower sumps readily available at places like West Marine. Install a water trap between the shower drain and the sump.

As far as an overboard solution, maybe a manifold on one of the through hulls located above the water line.

re. propane instant water heaters
... can these units, somehow, be installed on deck therefor eliminating the oxygen depletion problem. Would it be sensible alternative to do so?

George.

BETAMARINE
DIESEL PROPULSION & GENERATORS
Mobile: (786) 443 5567
Fax: (786) 221 3986

Old 01-18-2007
can't re Member

captlar is on a distinguished road
There are venting instant propane heaters but they are too large to fit in vanity of many heads. Even these vented units did not satify the underwriters and I am not shy about pushing an agenda. I would add that the Paloma I was forced to remove is still legal (by others' posts) on the other side of the pond.
Most boats, including mine, have plenty of ventilation in the head, so I was not worried about safety and would have kept the unit. I confess I was glad to get rid of the additional propane lines which ran behind everything as well as in the bilge and so were hard to inspect.
I have also heard of folks mounting them topsides.
The AquaTemp - all in - was 3K

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Old 01-18-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgellop
re. propane instant water heaters
... can these units, somehow, be installed on deck therefor eliminating the oxygen depletion problem. Would it be sensible alternative to do so?
George.
Probably would be sensible but corrosion would be the major drawback as none of these things are specifically designed for marine use. On Raven we have a permanently open hatch that vents under the dodger thus eliminating any concerns about oxygen depletion.

ps - what beautiful lines your hull has. Reminds me a lot of a smaller version of the Alden ketch "Minots Light". I wonder where she is these days.

Old 01-18-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
All,

Thanks for the extremely useful information.

I have yet to decide on the source of heat but on the plumbing side it is clear that it will be a self-contained shower pan that is drained by its dedicated pump, probably into the head sink outlet (which already discharges greywater through its own through-hull).

We've had the rail in the water on a regular basis. I was wondering where the water was coming in from!

Looks like I,ve got a few adjustments to make.

-Mark