SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Storm sails and roller furling headsails? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/28025-storm-sails-roller-furling-headsails.html)

wallybygolly 01-18-2007 07:02 PM

Storm sails and roller furling headsails?

I did extensive searches both on this site and on the web and donít believe I have come across the exact answer Iím looking for yetÖso I turn to you guys for some help.

I have a CAL 30 with a roller furling headsailÖI donít know what size the jib is exactly as it was put on by the previous owner and other difficulties prevent me from sailing her for the time being.

My question is this: What is the preferred method of dealing with heavy winds with this type of setup? Is a 30í boat too short for a storm staysail? I was looking at it the other day and Iím just not sure if I have the room to support that additional sail up front. Is the best option to get a mainsail with triple reef points and just tie it down tight and keep the jib rolled in? I canít imagine leaving the jib partially unfurled is a good thing to do long termÖbut then again, not sure how much it would be used really (however, I think its good idea to have a correct plan of action before its needed).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

camaraderie 01-18-2007 07:16 PM

Wally...When you speak of dealing with heavy winds...what are you specifically talking about? Are you planning on taking the boat across oceans or are we talking about weekend sailing and being caught in heavier winds than predicted or squalls?
If ocean...the traditional method for dealing with really high winds in a storm is to have a storm trysail and track installed on the mast. If you want something for the headsail, ATN makes a storm jib that hanks on over the top of a roller furled sail but most prefer just to use the partially rolled up jib till it is time to roll it up fully. Here's a link to the ATN Gale Sail:
http://www.atninc.com/gale.html

sailingdog 01-18-2007 07:28 PM

I like the GaleSail and carry one on my boat, which is only 28'. I don't have a storm trysail, but am looking to install a third reef on my mainsail instead.

wallybygolly 01-18-2007 07:29 PM

Well, my question is centered around ocean passages, though I do realize that I'm at a disadvantage from the get go with a light-displacement, fin keel boat. :)

I'm in the process of (slowly) refitting my boat with plans for cruising in the South Pacific and maybe beyond (too far to plan right now)...and I was just curious as to what most people did so when I get to that point I can make the right decision on what to do.

I'm reading up on the GaleSail...I have to admit, I kinda like it. :)

camaraderie 01-18-2007 09:08 PM

The gale sail works but the trick is to set it before you NEED it or it is a bear to get up the jib! Kinda like reefing...it is too late when you NEED to do it!

sailingdog 01-18-2007 09:12 PM

From my experience, getting the GaleSail setup is far better than trying to get a 150% genoa off of the roller furling gear... :D And I fully agree, that it should be done early.... when you first think you might need it.

sailingfool 01-18-2007 09:59 PM

My boat is configured for a removeable inner forestay soley for the the purpose of flying the storm jib, in combination with the third reef. The third reef is an alternative to the storm trysail. I believe flying the storm jib from an inner forestay provides for the proper balance interaction between the two sails, which will not occur with a small sail set on the forestay.

One would be exposed to a lot of risks to use a partially furled light air genoa as a storm sail, although its an expediance step if not otherwise prepared.

wallybygolly 01-20-2007 05:37 AM

Thanks for the info...I'm going to look into the galesail more...I'm not to worried about the "when you think you should have done it, its too late" thing...as I'm not too fond of the thought of going forward and taking down a 120 or 150 genoa and raising a storm jib when its too late either. :)

Tartan34C 01-20-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool
My boat is configured for a removeable inner forestay soley for the the purpose of flying the storm jib, in combination with the third reef. The third reef is an alternative to the storm trysail.

A third reef in the main is nice but a storm trysail is made of heaver fabric and is usually in better shape because itís not used very often. A main on the other hand is your day to day sail and is well worn and is not made with the heavy fabric and reinforced corners that the trysail has. Also if something were to happen to the main the trysail is a convenient backup and its easer to use it with a jerry rig.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

cboudart 12-05-2008 03:47 PM

Has anyone retrofitted their hank on storm jib into a ATN storm sail.
Do you know where the plans are to make the sleeve that fits over the rolled up headsail.
Looking for a sewing project.
Chris Boudart
Sea Treasure