Packing gland??????? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 01-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
The hose clamps were the ones on the gland side not the stern tube side and yes, plenty of water. Thou I did notice that the stern tube side has some drips today. Cripes, wrong end driping. Sounds like a medical problem.
It HAS to be too much grease or too much packing but it's only four wraps?
Did you wrap the packing around the shaft in one continual length four times? If you did "four wraps" then that's part of your problem. Three rings is usually plenty and when I say rings I mean individual rings not one continuous length of flax wraped four times.

Go outside the boat and clean a portion of the prop shaft with scotchbrite. Then wrap some packing around the shaft so the ends over lap each other by a 2 cm or so but are side by side on the shaft tightly. Then take a razor blade and make a 45 degree slice through both ends, where they meet, in center of the area where the ends overlap. Now remove the flax and you have a ring that will fit perfectly and the ends butt together with a 45 degree scarf joint. Make three rings and insert them into the nut with the 45 degree cuts offset from each other. Tighten packing nut by hand and allow it to drip for a few hours of engine run time with the shaft spinning. Then re-tighten & adjust it to a point where the stuffing box is slightly warm to the touch and you're done. Use GFO packing and no grease it will drip much less than standard packing but you should still get a couple of drops per minute...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 01-22-2007
Senior Moment

Halekai,

Thanks for the info. Learn something new every day! Agreed that it is probably best described as drip less and not dripless. Sorry you ruined a shaft. Fortunately I haven't had that experience, and I keep my shaft dripless as much as I can. I will keep an eye on that in the future, however.

Now, if we could only explain what is happening with Wildcard's boat. Speaking of which --

Wildcard, if you have totally unscrewed the retaining nut and then totally unscrewed the compression nut (into which the flax material goes), you should be able to run something long and skinny down the shaft inside the stern tube to clear out any grease that may be there, or anything else. If you don't have a good flow of water coming into the boat at that point, either haul it or hire a diver. There is something weird going on. Perhaps you can tell that this one stumps me, and I hate that when it should be so simple!

SailorMitch
Sailing winged keels since 1989.
1.20.09 Bush's last day the end of an error !! Hopefully we still have a constitution and economy left by then.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
post #23 of 46 Old 01-22-2007

Nothing is simple it's a boat. You might think that in 36 years of sailing and over 40 different boats both power and sail I'd have run across every possible failure but I discover a few new ones each year... The grease situation was one of those "never would have guessed it" scenarios.

It was my fault I ruined my shaft by not reading the directions. I really did think the GFO was dripless so I put a brown paper bag underneath my stuffing box and tightened it untill the bag came out with no wet spots. I then ran it for a month checking only for drips and never feeling to see if it was hot to the touch.. Oh well live and learn! It was scored enough that I did not feel comfortable or trust using the PSS's internal o-rings. The o-rings inside the stainles rotor seal against the shaft!!

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #24 of 46 Old 01-23-2007 Thread Starter

I know how to wrap a packing gland, it was covered early on here and yes it was done right, still, no water? I'll pull a piece or two out next chance I get and see what happens.
On another topic, new boat cover gets fitted today! No more tarps, YEA!
post #25 of 46 Old 01-23-2007

Wildcard I redid my packing last spring and there is really only room for one packing ring. Mine takes 1/4" and I used teflon rope. I cut one section in half length wise to get a little more in.
Mine does not drip when not running so if you have 4 pieces I can see why you are not getting any water through.

PS I have one of those little curly things if you want to borrow it.
post #26 of 46 Old 01-23-2007

Check the Shaft log

You may have some barnicles, or growth in the ports on either side of your shaft log on the outide of the boat. No water may be flowing to the packing, or the cutlass bearing. So check that if the plan below doesn't work.
I repack my shaft in the water. It leaks a bit, but it's not that bad. Your bilge pump will easily keep up with it. Go ahead and take off the nut, pop out the first ring, then run the shaft at the dock to see if it starts leaking. When it does, put back the ring, and snug up the packing nut by hand, and set the lock ring. It it doesn't start leaking work a small pen knife between the shaft and the packing to loosen it up.
post #27 of 46 Old 01-23-2007

Ditto on the product (GFO) Great stuff and yes it may still ooze a little. I've run it for 350+- hrs and no hot shaft or leaks. Shaft speed makes a big difference as well. We don't spin that ol' Michigan Wheel 21LH15 very fast.
Regards,
Red
post #28 of 46 Old 01-23-2007 Thread Starter

One packing ring? How does that seal? It is supposed to have four, well, mine is anyway or so I was told. I just replaced the cutlass and cleaned out the whole shaft tube, it is spotless. Water is making it to the gland, just not through it. I'll play with it tomorrow some more.
post #29 of 46 Old 01-23-2007

There is no way barnacles will seal a shaft, the water presure would push the water between the slime and growth. You have packed it too tight.
post #30 of 46 Old 01-23-2007
Senior Moment

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. Back the compression nut off entirely so that it moves freely up the shaft, and that takes the "flax" totally off the end of the stuffing box. If there's no water coming in at that point, is the "flax" in the wrong place and, thus, stopping the water from coming in? Gang, this is screwy. This is a rather primitive part of the boat we are talking about. It's not rocket science. I think Pig hit the nail with his head -- this sucker is way too tight. Cutlass probably has nothing to do with it either.

Next problem?

SailorMitch
Sailing winged keels since 1989.
1.20.09 Bush's last day the end of an error !! Hopefully we still have a constitution and economy left by then.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.