Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-22-2007

mrkeith is on a distinguished road
epoxy bottom? when to do it?

hi, when do you know if you need to put an epoxy bottom ( or coat ) on your sailboat? is this for speed purposes or for protection purposes? how do you know if you need it? is such a thing necessary above and beyond just normal antifouling? if you put epoxy on, do you still need to antifoul? thank you very much for any insight you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
The epoxy is generally a barrier to keep water from penetrating the fiberglass and causeing blisters. you still need antifouling on top of that.
The best time to do it is when the boat's built

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 01-22-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The second best time is, as soon as possible. Osmotic blisters, if gone unchecked, can lead to some very expensive repairs. Some bottoms are more prone to blisters, but it's relatively cheap insurance to apply an epoxy barrier coat to all fiberglass boat bottoms.

Before applying antifouling protection, Interlux Interprotect 3000 is what my yard applied to my boat's bottom, shortly after purchase. Check out this link for some good information about preparation - http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/
Old 01-22-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
I bought a boat that had been out of the water for ten years or more. Since it was unlikely to ever be as dry again, I had the bottom stripped, finding zero blisters and very fresh looking gelcoat.

We did the Interprotect job anyway, just to be a good steward of the hull. The result was a very nice, smooth and fair bottom and some peace of mind about osmosis.
Old 01-22-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
Blister, etc. opinions, etc.

Go to www.yachtsurvey.com and read up on 'blisters' to remove some of the hype and paranoia about osmotic blistering, etc. This site is only one persons opinion ... but it probably comes close to the 'truth'. Good advice on when, why, why not, etc. to apply barrier coats, etc.
Old 01-23-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Let's get our terminology straight; what mrkeith is referring to as an "epoxy bottom" is generally called a "barrier coat." An epoxy bottom is a hull coated with a hard, epoxy-type anti fouling paint, such as Petit Trinidad.
Old 01-23-2007

mrkeith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms
Let's get our terminology straight; what mrkeith is referring to as an "epoxy bottom" is generally called a "barrier coat." An epoxy bottom is a hull coated with a hard, epoxy-type anti fouling paint, such as Petit Trinidad.

thanks for that. so actually when i get my boat antifouled, i should just request a hard antifouling paint that has epoxy in it in order to create a barrier coat? blisters are not a problem, but i want to be cautious and ensure that they stay not a problem! will such a barrier coat improve or decrease my boats speed in the water?
Old 01-23-2007

Loewe is on a distinguished road
Probably not Keith. Epoxy as a barrier coat is not the same as "Hard" bottom paint. Interlux 2000 is a barrier coat that should be applied to a clean and faired gel coat. The bottom paint goes on over that. I would first find out what works best in your sailing area for folks that use their boats as you expect to. I use Trinidad SR and have been very pleased with it. Diver hits it about every 60 days and it is fine for about 2 years. Haul, pressure wash, rough up and another coat goes a couple more years. Ablatives don't do well with bottom scrubbing because they are "soft" and disolve away over time. Hard bottoms are preferred by racers because you can get a uniformly smooth finish that stays that way as long as you keep it clean. Having said that I know some racers who use ablatives. Plenty to choose from and as with all painting...preparation is the key. Enjoy!

Regards,
Red
Old 01-23-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Mr. Keith -- In terms of applying a barrier coat, you usually will find that people recommend the product they used to barrier coat their boat. In my case, I used MAS epoxy, so it is in fact an epoxy barrier boat. I sanded the bottom down to bare gelcoat, dug out the few blisters that were present, filled in those divots, faired the bottom and applied 6 coats of the MAS. No problems since then. As others have said, the bottom paint you choose is a separate deal from the barrier coating, and there are other threads on that topic alone.

Good luck!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-24-2007

Ardvark5 is on a distinguished road
As new fibreglass outgasses for a while, it is recommended to leave a new boat for 9-12 months before applying epoxy barrier coat. This ensures optimum adhesion.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.